Where can I find a carriage lock for my 10L?

S

SCLead

Forum Guest
Register Today
Most of the resources I find in searching online turn up businesses no longer in operation. Does anyone know where I might be able to source a carriage stop lock for my heavy 10? I've found several sketches of them, but without access to a mill, my hands are a bit tied in terms of making my own.

Edit: The bolt/clamp that mount through the carriage behind the apron to allow you to lock the carriage in place along the Z travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one that goes on flat way..very easy to make.i used this until I picked a better one.could thread it parrell to bed..put a bolt in for adjusting without moving stop.will mail to you if you can use it..image.jpegimage.jpeg

Now I know why I post two or more pictures.don't hit full image more than once..

D'oh! Thanks Lordbreezer...I'm looking for the carriage lock. I edited my title/post to reflect that, total brain fart asking for a carriage stop there.

These pieces are what I'm after:

carriage lock 005.JPG

(not my picture - my machine came missing these)

Most of the resources I find in searching online turn up businesses no longer in operation. Does anyone know where I might be able to source a carriage stop lock for my heavy 10? I've found several sketches of them, but without access to a mill, my hands are a bit tied in terms of making my own.

Edit: The bolt/clamp that mount through the carriage behind the apron to allow you to lock the carriage in place along the Z travel.
You can try Ebay
If find one the price may be high

I have one use on a SB 9N and I have used on other lathe in past.

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

I just made the one on the left to replace the janky thing on the right. It's as big as the space will allow and locks the carriage in a quarter turn. Small piece of brass, a hacksaw, a Porter Cable router for the step and a file to clearance for the rack taper pins. I did use the drill press to D&T. Dropping the apron to gain access was more PITA than making the clamp.
IMG_3681.JPG

The bolt is easy to make, the nut is the challenge. I saw a thread with the drawing/dimensions of the nut but I am not finding the thread.

I purchased a machined nut from EBay for my SB Heavy 10. The bolt is 3/8in x 16 tpi if I recall. I machined a square headed bolt to fit a wrench I found at a flea market.

My initial flea market find was a 4 sided wrench. I later found an 8 sided wrench so easier to use since less angle between adjustments.

Southbend_Heavy_10_8_point_vs_4_point_wrench_9061.jpg

Back