• June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Where can I get...#8-32 x 5/8 SLOTTED, FULL DOG POINT

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

56type

...#8-32 x 5/8 SLOTTED, FULL DOG POINT, HEADLESS SET SCREWS !! I've scoured the interweb to the best of my ability (perhaps my google-fu is weak), and I can't come up with any. Need a bit longer than the 1/2" length that came on the lathe to install some new steel gibs on my Atlas 10100 Mk.2 (run out of adjustment before steel gib is adjusted correctly & it won't allow the locking nut enough thread to engage) . Trying to stay FAAAAAAR away from socket/hex key/allen headed varieties. Thanks for any help in the right direction...

BtoVin83

Those type of set screws are out of fashion I bet, might have to make your own.

Cadillac

Why not take a 8-32 screw whack the head off it. Then turn down a dog point and slot it. Whatever length you want.

56type

What's wrong with socket head ones? I think they come in 3/4" size
Personal preference mostly...I ALWAYS have some small screwdrivers around that can be used to make adjustments. I RARELY have the correct size hex/allen/ socket head wrench & find it easy to grab the wrong size or a size that seems to fit, only to find out after damaging the fastener that the wrench wasn't the correct sie or the fastener wasn't made quite to spec. In either case the result is usually the same ....I'm either installing a new fastener or frantically searching for the EXACT allen wrench that fits the particular fastener. Operator error, totally my fault...still does nothing to endear me to allen head fasteners.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
LOL OK totally understandable. To me they seem to make better gib adjusters, easier to fine-tune than slotted screws. My dear departed Dad left me a gigantic load of allen wrenches so I keep 'em sprinkled all around

David S

Active User
Hold on. Why not put anything that you have on hand in there and get the lathe running, then make the custom ones and replace the temporary ones, with your nice new machined ones.

David

tjb

Terry
Aesthetics aside, seems to me it would be a whole lot easier to locate and purchase an extra set of Allen wrenches. Just like your screwdrivers, there would be many more uses for them as well.

I have two sets each of standard and metric, and extra ones that are used regularly attached to pieces of equipment with magnets. Never need to go find one.

Just suggesting.

Regards,
Terry

Charles Spencer

Active User
H-M Supporter-Donating Member
I have two allen wrenches that I use on my lathe. I use a magnet to keep them stuck to the tail stock end of the bed.

TonyRV2

Ok...just spitballing here because I know nothing of this lathe, but could you just cut a rod the same thickness as the set screw to use as a spacer between the actual set screw and the gib? Might be a good temporary solution to get you up and running. Either that or the dumbest thing I've come up with today, and its only 9:30. :rolleyes:

RJSakowski

You can make a quick and dirty dog point set screw with a power hand drill and a file or grinder. Chuck a slotted screw in the chuck and grind or file the head down to the thread diameter, reverse the screw and file or grind the dog point.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I keep wrenches that fit all the commonly used adjusting screws and bolts on my lathe handy on an added tooling board above the splash shield behind my lathe. Whatever I want to adjust, the tool is right there where I can find and grab it quickly, use it, and put it back for the next time. If you don't want to do that, then I suggest using fastener types that can be loosened and tightened by hand without tools.

GrayTech

Swarf
Registered Member
What's wrong with socket head ones? I think they come in 3/4" size
Personal preference mostly...I ALWAYS have some small screwdrivers around that can be used to make adjustments. I RARELY have the correct size hex/allen/ socket head wrench & find it easy to grab the wrong size or a size that seems to fit, only to find out after damaging the fastener that the wrench wasn't the correct sie or the fastener wasn't made quite to spec. In either case the result is usually the same ....I'm either installing a new fastener or frantically searching for the EXACT allen wrench that fits the particular fastener. Operator error, totally my fault...still does nothing to endear me to allen head fasteners.
With my socket head screw gib adjusters I only ever need finger tight, and a wrench for the lock nut.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

BGHansen

Here's a place with 3/4" length slot-headed 8-32 set screws. Looks like they're out of hardened ones but have 18-8 grade stainless ones.

Their website address is www.asmc.net. I'm not endorsing them, just found them with a Google search for "8-32 slot head set screw".

Bruce

1528224175941.png

56type

Here's a place with 3/4" length slot-headed 8-32 set screws. Looks like they're out of hardened ones but have 18-8 grade stainless ones.

Their website address is www.asmc.net. I'm not endorsing them, just found them with a Google search for "8-32 slot head set screw".

Bruce

View attachment 269034
Thanks. I found another one today while searching online. They list the #8-32 x 5/8 full dog point socket head set screws. Anyone needing that type of screws might want to check them out. Guess I may have to join the 20th century after all and get the socket head ones. Here's a link...
https://www.mutualscrew.com/department/full-dog-point-socket-set-screws-14672.cfm

tjb

Terry
tooling board above the splash shield behind my lathe
Bob,

You posted a great picture of that on another thread a few months back. Might be nice to see that photo again right here.

Regards,
Terry

Bob Korves

Bob,

You posted a great picture of that on another thread a few months back. Might be nice to see that photo again right here.

Regards,
Terry
Here is the thread:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/magnetic-tool-holder.65686/#post-547314
The photos were taken soon after setting it up, there are plenty more tools there now. Metric combination wrenches and the like are kept in a tool box behind where I stand at the lathe. That box holds tools that are used on the lathe and on the mill which is next to the lathe. I hate wasting time looking for tools, and even with trying to have them where I can find them fast, I still get ticked off at the time I spend getting another tool. So I try to keep all the commonly (and less commonly) used tools right at the machines.

tjb

Terry
Here is the thread:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/magnetic-tool-holder.65686/#post-547314
The photos were taken soon after setting it up, there are plenty more tools there now. Metric combination wrenches and the like are kept in a tool box behind where I stand at the lathe. That box holds tools that are used on the lathe and on the mill which is next to the lathe. I hate wasting time looking for tools, and even with trying to have them where I can find them fast, I still get ticked off at the time I spend getting another tool. So I try to keep all the commonly (and less commonly) used tools right at the machines.
I suppose this is a bit of a rabbit trail, but I was very impressed with your tool board. I copied your idea from that post using Unistrut/aluminum 2x2 angle for tool holders and made similar holders on my two lathes (three, counting the Jet P1024 look-alike that I just sold). A GREAT organizing idea and very easy to make.

Regards,
Terry

[6]
[5] [7]