Where can I get...#8-32 x 5/8 SLOTTED, FULL DOG POINT

56type

Registered
Registered
...#8-32 x 5/8 SLOTTED, FULL DOG POINT, HEADLESS SET SCREWS !! I've scoured the interweb to the best of my ability (perhaps my google-fu is weak), and I can't come up with any. Need a bit longer than the 1/2" length that came on the lathe to install some new steel gibs on my Atlas 10100 Mk.2 (run out of adjustment before steel gib is adjusted correctly & it won't allow the locking nut enough thread to engage) . Trying to stay FAAAAAAR away from socket/hex key/allen headed varieties. Thanks for any help in the right direction...

1/2 " is the longest
94025a137l.gif

Those type of set screws are out of fashion I bet, might have to make your own.

Why not take a 8-32 screw whack the head off it. Then turn down a dog point and slot it. Whatever length you want.

I agree with Cadillac, you have a lathe so you can make what you need.

What's wrong with socket head ones? I think they come in 3/4" size

Personal preference mostly...I ALWAYS have some small screwdrivers around that can be used to make adjustments. I RARELY have the correct size hex/allen/ socket head wrench & find it easy to grab the wrong size or a size that seems to fit, only to find out after damaging the fastener that the wrench wasn't the correct sie or the fastener wasn't made quite to spec. In either case the result is usually the same ....I'm either installing a new fastener or frantically searching for the EXACT allen wrench that fits the particular fastener. Operator error, totally my fault...still does nothing to endear me to allen head fasteners.

LOL OK totally understandable. To me they seem to make better gib adjusters, easier to fine-tune than slotted screws. My dear departed Dad left me a gigantic load of allen wrenches so I keep 'em sprinkled all around

Hold on. Why not put anything that you have on hand in there and get the lathe running, then make the custom ones and replace the temporary ones, with your nice new machined ones.

David

Back