Where Do I Begin?

Phil,

Thank you for the input, I appreciate it that you take your time to help out.

I will just have to open the screw cutting box and take a look, the manual I have is just installation and start up, just a couple of pages.

No such luck, the parts that came in from Grizzly are not even close to the originals in my lathe I was hoping their 1236 Gunsmith G0750G would be close enough, not so. Their gib is thinner. Their cam is slotted while mine has holes and the pins are pressed. Looks like I will be forced to make my own gib and the cam. Luckily the cam is set screwed in to the shaft. I hope my mini lathe that I primarily use to turn necks on my long range competition brass is will be up to the task to machine steel, never have tried cutting steel on it, just the cartridge brass and occasional aluminum.

Questions:

What material should I use to make the gib from?
Should it be hardened?
What material should I make the cam, the original appears to be cast?
Should I slot it or drill/bore a hole a press the 8mm pins just like the original.

Thank you.

go online and find a piece of metric drill rod right on size. cut and dress the ends and you have a new pin. you can harden it yourself with a torch and quenching bath. depends on oil or water hardening drill rod. wont be perfect but will work. along those lines can you find a supplier online of metric dowel pins? there are ways to tighten up the hole for 5/16 pin. Loctite would work. peening the top of the hole. knurling a pin . spring pin might also work. unthreaded portion of a high quality metric bolt. there are so many choices that will work. bill

Back