Where do I find ..........

pandreasen

Registered
Registered
I am trying to find a cutter for the spur gear that interfaces with the carriage traverse rack on an Atlas 618 lathe. Every cutter table or maker I find does not go below 10-12 teeth. This has 8 teeth and is only 0.532" in diameter!
Anyone know of a source. I can't afford to pay upwards of $70-100 for it! Plus, the "new" ones for sale all seem to be with a larger diameter shaft. Mine is only ~ 0.355" (also nicely oblonged!)
I can't make a cutter for it as my hands shake too much. Age and military service has left me with that cute little "addition" to my physical skills! Nice having to have my daughter solder things. LOL

Have you checked with Victor Machinery Exchange at Victornet.com or 800/723-5359?

Gear cutters below 12 teeth are made only for a specific number of teeth, in your case, the cutter would only cut 8 teeth, no more, no less.
Look online for Ash Gear Co., they sell gear cutting tooling of all types. Also make sure as to what pressure angle your rack gear is, there is a good chance that it is not 14 1/2 deg., likely it may be 20 deg. With gear under 12 teeth, the teeth tend to be weakened by undercutting, and likely in that case, going to a larger pressure angle results in a stronger pinion.

McMaster Carr
Very unlikely, they would just have the standard #1 - 8 cutter sets. Not even big tool companies sell these special cutters. Ash Gear may have them available, they are quite specialized.

I am trying to find a cutter for the spur gear that interfaces with the carriage traverse rack on an Atlas 618 lathe. Every cutter table or maker I find does not go below 10-12 teeth. This has 8 teeth and is only 0.532" in diameter!
Anyone know of a source. I can't afford to pay upwards of $70-100 for it! Plus, the "new" ones for sale all seem to be with a larger diameter shaft. Mine is only ~ 0.355" (also nicely oblonged!)
I can't make a cutter for it as my hands shake too much. Age and military service has left me with that cute little "addition" to my physical skills! Nice having to have my daughter solder things. LOL
Are the teeth OK?
Perhaps braze a plug and re-bore it?
(picture would assist.)

are you dead set on making a gear???
the gears can be purchased on EBay i'm sure ;)

It's a small gear. Presuming therefore that it is a high speed.????
Q. What sort of speed max, would it do?
Q. What material is the gear and its mating gear made of?
Q. How much use does it get.?
Q. Seems a bit crass to ask this, but how much longer do you reckon you will be using the machine?

At a pinch, depending on circumstances, ie, answers to the above questions, you have an option not many would dare even think about.
lets say answers are, 200rpm, castiron, 20 times a year@1hour per week, 20 years. ( which is a reasonable duty) The Gear will spin <10 million revs.
The i/p gear on an average cars gear box, at ~2000rpm, etc is ............bloody big numbers and a far greater HP Duty cycle, and so on. Here's the thing.

Cut the gear by hand. The function of success, is proportional to your own skill and accuracy, but my wife would be able to achieve a do-able gear. I reckon. I have made several over the years, 30, and no complaints yet.

edit:- PS. At a pinch, send the gear to me, I'll do you one, for the pleasure of showing you what can be done.

Very unlikely, they would just have the standard #1 - 8 cutter sets. Not even big tool companies sell these special cutters. Ash Gear may have them available, they are quite specialized.

I thought he was asking where a gear could be had. Wasn’t very clear on gear or cutter? I had luck getting the gears and rack for my SG from them. Boston gears too.
The links look like a winner to me for that price.

Back