Where Do I Look For Local Shop Shows Or Local Classes?

Big_Blue

Registered
Registered
I'm just getting into metal work and would like to attend shows or classes in the Atlanta area. How do I find where and when those shows/classes are held? Is there a particular search text I can use in Google?

Thanks,

check your local junior college as one place I would think of, Many do things like that. In fact I've though about going to the one here.

Howdy neighbor!
My office is over in Tucker.

I don't have any answers for you, but if you find some please share! I am just getting into this as well, and might be interested in a class or two after I get through rebuilding my lathe.

Consider letting the Instructor know what your short and long term personal goals are.
Otherwise they are in default mode. That is getting you ready for industry. Which may mean CNC.
That learning outcome may be different from your goals.
My experience is that the Instructors in this market are willing to attempt to tweak their curriculum to meet the needs of the Learner.

Daryl
MN

Good luck
The other way is just start working the tools and ask question here.
All most all shop class are for CNC you will get good the bad and the ugly in CNC class.

There some good old video's on youtub.com from WWII the newer may or may be good.

Dave

We have technical college in my area, High school vocational programs are struggling, one local county just outfitted class with all manual machines, local industry toured it and said graduating students would be of no use they do not know CNC. Other issue seams to be getting instructor 40k for full time is what they are offering. But back on subject you can take individual classes at the communtiy college for machining and metrology without all the art appreciation and the like.

I've completed 5 classes at my local community college. They are evening classes set up for "continuing eduction" They are not part of the 2 year Associate Degree. You get full use of the shops and machines plus material is included. They have everyone from absolute novices who have never touched a machine to older retired machinists who don't have some of the machines in their own shop and they want to finish specific projects. I called it grown up shop class. All self paced and you worked on whatever you wanted with the instructor's supervision. Very few people were interested in the CNC. Perhaps you can find something similar in your area?

Back