Where do I look for someone to grind my bed

A picture says 1000 words, look at what I made and was able to measure http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=17441&page=3 I did this on my Rockwell bed, when I swap beds, I will have to align everything so it cuts straight. There are more picture on pages 1 and 2. Tim Ps, my Rockwell only uses the inverted v on the front way and it uses the flat way on the back. There is a gib adjustment on the bottom of the back way that prevents the saddle from rocking. Tim

Way measure.jpg Front way.jpg Back way.jpg Alignment.jpg

Tim,

Those are great fixtures to have, but the way you have it set up indicating is not telling you a true reading of accuracy. Unless you have determine the tailstock ways are running true with no wear. Have you done this? If you are assuming they are not worn, you might be susprised...

Using the fixture, check against the unworn areas/portion of the bed first next to the ways. This should give you a better feel if there is any wear in the tailstock ways.

One thing you have to remember, the unworn areas of the bed ways were machined at the same time as the vee and flat ways were. As long as these surfaces were not damaged over the years, they should be good reference points to start from.

The reference ways that I am using are not used when the lathe is running and when I compared the tailstock end and moved across, I got .008-.014 wear on the inverted V on my old bed, the new one is less than .001 The flat way went from .006-.008 wear on the old one to .0002 on the new one. I still have to align the head stock and tail stocks when I start swapping things over but my tools are a copy of a King way alignment tool.

I have a contact out of chicago that can do your bed as long as its not over 60 inches.Condor Machine Tool Co., Inc.5315 W 63rd St, Chicago, IL 60638(773) 767-5985

Sorry forgot to mention contact and pricing. Owner name is Gerard and pricing is done upon inspection. I'd give him a call. I dropped off my lathe bed about 2 weeks ago and plan to pick it up sometime next week.

If anyone is interested I can post before and after picks.

I just had my 9" SB bed done for $500 by a shop in western Wisconsin. All V's and flats.
Picked it up yesterday, looking forward to getting scraping.

Tadd

Tadd,
What is the name of the business you get your bed ground?
Chrs

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check and see what they would charge to do a Sheldon.

Back