[Newbie] Where has all the older machining equipment gone to?

to add to what projectnut posted.

this is a Cincinnati #4
img11.jpg

and this is a #5
Cinci5.jpg

If he has the money in hand and is ready to buy right this minute.... he will never find what he is looking for. All of my old iron came along after being on my list for YEARS! Some of my machines were so unwanted that I had to buy them, bring them home and fix them up solely because I felt sorry for them!

I have wanted a mill for 30+ years... one finally landed in my shop tonight! I am not a patient person but patients is key! What machines is he looking for? Does he have an idea of 3 or 4 different machines from different manufactures that will serve his purposes?

Knowing the different manufactures that made a type of machine, who made good ones, who made bad ones and how much they generally go for will allow him to pounce when the right deal comes along. If he is looking for a Bridgeport mill in great shape for $1000 he is going to have a long wait. In 30 years I haven't even found a nice $1000 Bridgeport that I missed by calling too late on. My $1000 8" x 30" Taiwanese mill is as close as I could come and I am quite pleased with the deal!

We just picked up 2 Bridgeports, a ATC No. 1½ surface grinder and a 13/40 lathe, all under power for $3000 The lady still has a HUGE mill probably 5000 lbs or better and 2 nice small turret lathes. The lathes can be bought for $500 each. The mill I'm not sure what she would take for the big mill tho

We just picked up 2 Bridgeports, a ATC No. 1½ surface grinder and a 13/40 lathe, all under power for $3000 The lady still has a HUGE mill probably 5000 lbs or better and 2 nice small turret lathes. The lathes can be bought for $500 each. The mill I'm not sure what she would take for the big mill tho
What is distance between centers and where is the lathe is located?

Back