Where to Buy ETD 150?

Allan

Active User
Registered
As the title says I would like to buy maybe 3 feet of 1/2" or 5/8" ETD 150. Does anyone know who sells it in small quantities? I don't mean equivalent like 4140 I want the real La Salle Steel stuff.

Metal Supermarket should be able to get it in for you. Not sure if one is near Kleefeld you may need to go to Winnipeg
Cheers
Martin

Thanks, Martin.
I have asked them about Stressproof in the past and they didn't have access or didn't want to or something. Just an "equivalent". I'll contact them. They're a really good bunch of guys there in Winnipeg. I highly recommend them.

Now that I think of it one of our local machine shops sold me some Stressproof. They probably won't have it but you never know.

Al

Allan I'm curious , why do you want Stressproof ? Back in the mid 90s' I had a recurring job ( a recoil arrester for a rifle co. ) and they oked' Stressproof for the part . That stuff saved my day .

Hi, Mark.
I don't actually want Stressproof. I want ETD 150. I need to make a pin for the hammer of an old Piepert rolling block rifle I snagged at a gun show. It had the receiver, the lever and the hammer. Nothing else.

Being a Remington style rolling block action most of the bolt thrust is on the hammer pin. It is only .211" diameter. I want it to be as strong as possible. ETD 150 is very strong (130,000 pis yield) and supposed to be nice to machine.

Thinking of chambering it in a 17 cal of some kind.

Attachments

• Piper Falling Block.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Wrong File. Shows the finished rifle but not mine. I'll try again.

Pieper Rifle 1.JPGPieper Locking Mechanism.JPG

I guess I was spoiled. Our hometown steel supplier carries it, along with Stressproof, 12L14, etc.
https://www.modestosteel.com/products.asp

The owner is a prince, one of the finest people I've ever met. For a piece that small, they may be willing to ship. Never hurts to ask.

I will definitely contact him if Metal Supermarket doesn't have it. I have a US address I use to which saves a lot on shipping. Thanks for the info, Mr W.

Cooter, that sounds like tough stuff and would do a great job. But It also requires heat treating and sounds a little nasty to machine. I think I'll pass on it but thanks for the thought. ETD is already hardened and machines at 70% which is important since I need to thread one end.

Back