Where To Buy Metal

Dask62

Registered
Registered
I live in Phoenix.
When I lived in San Diego we had a store called IMS, Industrial Metal Supply. The same company is located here in Phoenix. I never bought metal for milling, i went there once for a remodeling project.
Is this a good store for variety and price?
Is there a good place in Phoenix to buy metal, mainly aluminum?

P.s. been steadily buying tooling for the mini mill the past month.
Next big purchase is a 3 way DRO.
I've read articles on here but still undecided on what and from where to purchase. My budget is under $300, so if you have a good experience...please do tell.

Thanks
Dask

last week i brought a totally stripped carcass of a horizontal mill to the scrapyard
i got 10 eurocent per kilo, about half of what it would have brought six months ago
i loaded 260 kilo of steel and 40 kilo of alu onto my trailer and had to pay 15 euro
turns out the price for the steel was 17 eurocent per kilo and the alu 1.60 per kilo
the alu was two big 2 mm thick plates with the protective plastic coating still on, i just couldnt leave it behind
the steel was partly round, between 3 inches and 3 foot long, 0.5 to 3 inches in diameter and mostly with the colour coding on one end
the rest was heavy rectangular bar stock, some of it with colour coding on the end
it took me 15 minutes to sort it out of the edge of the big pile, mainly looking for the colour coded pieces
i will be going back coming week and will be loading the trailer with whatever steel i think i could use over the next years

I live in Phoenix.
When I lived in San Diego we had a store called IMS, Industrial Metal Supply. The same company is located here in Phoenix. I never bought metal for milling, i went there once for a remodeling project.

I've read articles on here but still undecided on what and from where to purchase. My budget is under $300, so if you have a good experience...please do tell.

Thanks
Dask

We have an IMS here in Tucson now. Great prices!

Their map shows they have a Phoenix location: https://industrialmetalsupply.com/Locations

I left Phoenix about 10 years ago. IIRC, the Industrial Metals store was like a candy shop! Everything out on display.

If you are in the Kansas City area the place to go is Metal by the Foot off of Truman rd.
They have a very wide selection of metals and supplies. They can cut to order any metal.
Was just there Friday and I was like a kid in a candy store.
Wife went with me and she even likes the place. It carries all kinds of steel for Ornamental design and hand rails.
While there they told me they were building a new store in Topeka, so it won't be as far to drive for supplies.

http://www.metalbythefoot.com/

I was just in the Phoenix IMS a few days ago. They have a section of remnants that are reasonably priced and sold by the pound. I was looking for 6061 but they had a few types of steel, including SS, as well. Some of the 6061 remnants were absolutely giant (5 or 6 inches thick by 12 x 12 easily). Of course, they have all the standard pre-cut sizes too for a little more $ per pound. Definitely worth taking a look. If I had to complain about the remnants it would be that most of them are too big.

I think the 6061 remnants were 2.59/lb and pre-cut sizes 3.59/lb but don't quote me on that.

I've found reasonably priced 6061 on eBay also. IIRC, one good 6061 seller on there is "6061dude". I've bought from him several times.

http://stores.ebay.com/stonerstoolsandrawmaterials/

Yeah, 6061dude is my go to seller for anything Aluminum.
I can get it cheaper from him and free shipping also. Can't beat that very often.
He also has Brass at very reasonable prices too.

I live in Phoenix.

Thanks
Dask

For your DRO contact Matt Nadeja
Quality Machine Tools, LLC
701 Parkway View Dr.
BLDG #7
Pittsburgh, PA 15205
Ph# 412-787-2876
www.machinetoolonline.com
Email sales@machinetoolonline.com

When I lived near Medford OR there was a scrap metal yard I would wander through. A metal hobbyist dream with steel @$.50/lb. In Portland OR I have not yet found such a place. The aluminum and steel in H Depot is shockingly high. Currently the scrap steel commodity market has sunk very low, but when we hobbyists will benefit is anyone's guess. Meanwhile look for neighbors who scrap out their bed frames.

Back