[Metrology] Where to find in Machinerys handbook?

Rootpass

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Can anyone tell me where to find dimensions for collets in the Machinery’s Handbook? I can’t find anything in the index. My copy is from 1979. With all of the other information in it I can’t imagine collet dimensions aren’t.

stupoty

Active User
Registered
Can anyone tell me where to find dimensions for collets in the Machinery’s Handbook? I can’t find anything in the index. My copy is from 1979. With all of the other information in it I can’t imagine collet dimensions aren’t.
I've got an 11th ed 1942 , it's in the index under "Collets, bench lathes and milling machines" it doesn't have a massive amount of info.

Stuart

Rootpass

Thank you. Collets was the first thing I looked for but unless I’m as blind as I am deaf, it isn’t there. I’m going to look again.

Hawkeye

Active User
Edition 25 (1996) has it as the last entry in the Tooling section. That could mean that it was previously missing or included somewhere else. All the dimensions for an amazing array of collets.

Rootpass

Thank you Hawkeye. I’ll look for a newer copy.

MarkM

Registered
Registered
Have a look under Standard Tapers. Might find what your looking for here.

MarkM

Registered
Registered
Should have said from the 26 th edition in the Tooling Section under Standard Tapers. Pg. 721. Not sure exactly what your looking for but some digging should give you the info.

Aaron_W

They don't appear to be in the 24th Edition either (1992). Anyway I can't find them, and there is nothing about collets in the index.

They are at the end of the tooling section in the 14th edition (1953), page 1358 and also listed in the index.

Rootpass

Thank you for the replies. I have a Chinese d bit grinder and I was trying to identify the collets it uses. Looks like 3c

kenperkins

Registered
Registered
I've got an 11th ed 1942 too

ub27Rocks

Registered
Registered

Rootpass

Ub27
That is exactly what they were and I found the info just as you suggested.

Rootpass

Thank you for the link. I only have the three that came with it. My other option is an ER adapter

Bill W.

Rootpass... If you're still looking for that info, the Engineers Black Book, USA Edition, has the ER collet specs on page 79 @ the bottom of the page... You may have already found what you were looking for... if not, this may help.

Bill W

Rootpass

Thanks Bill. I did not look there but I do have that book

ub27Rocks

Registered
Registered
Thank you for the link. I only have the three that came with it. My other option is an ER adapter
That is a useful option. I bought a 16mm E355 collet to put an ER16 collet holder into. This supplements the inferial collets so I can do things with metric.

Rootpass

The originals are hard to find. I’ll probably go that route. I just finished an attachment to grind square tools so that’s been helpful.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock