Where to find upside down parting holder?

TORQUIN

Registered
Registered
Anyone have a source for an upside down parting blade holder for BXA? Or maybe some plans to make one? I am not going to build a rear tool post on my Monarch, but upside down from the regular tool post would be an improvement.

Thanks,
Chris

I have seen that one, but to use it on regular tool post, the way it's designed, I would have to rotate the tool post 90 degrees when I want to use that tool holder. I suppose I could just use it backwards, but the clamp would be at the back of the tool holder in that position.

Thanks,
Chris

I have seen that one, but to use it on regular tool post, the way it's designed, I would have to rotate the tool post 90 degrees when I want to use that tool holder. I suppose I could just use it backwards, but the clamp would be at the back of the tool holder in that position.

Thanks,
Chris

If you used it backwards the rake would be wrong.

You're talking about the Aloris?

No. Actually downward.

i think you're thinking about this wrong. To use a parting tool upside down in the normal QCTP mounting location would require turning the spindle clock wise, and that would definitely be trying to lift the carriage, just like threading with the tool upside down. If the lathe is big enough it might not be an issue, but I definitely wouldn't do it on a small lathe, or one with a threaded spindle.

This inverted parting tool is something that can easily be built in a home shop, It was one of my very first project for my mini lathe,many thanks to Mikey for talking me into milling it myself .

Back