Where to get flat head phillips machine screw blanks?

Petrock

Registered
Registered
I'm a photo hobbyist, and I'm customizing a couple of tripod heads. I need the thread on the screws to extend only so far, not all the way, so I will thread them myself. But I haven't found a source. Where do I get them? Thanks!

Two options I can think of. One is to make the whole screw or modify an existing one. Can you show us a drawing or pic of what you have in mind?

The only source that I know of would be a fastener manufacturer, if screws of suitable length were to be pulled off of the line after heading but before threading you would have what you require. I suspect that there would be a minimum order limit.

Could you possibly get long screws that the thread doesn't go the full length and cut off the threaded portion? You could then thread only the length you need.

Brownells, the gun smith supply has them. expect to pay handsomely.

you can use a larger size fastener and turn off all the thread and re thread the part you want.

Stu

McMaster Carr sells partial threaded flat head screws in longer lengths. What thread size, what is the length on the unthreaded portion and the overall length?

Could you possibly get long screws that the thread doesn't go the full length and cut off the threaded portion? You could then thread only the length you need.
OK, I've found long hex head screws at Tractor Supply. I'll shorten and thread them, and they'll be fine, but just not to the eye ! It's not a 'high stress' usage (the item is pot metal), so I can grind the hex head shallower and bevel along each section a bit, so it won't bother the hand in handling. Thanks Canus, and All !

Back