Where to get material in Canada

Just went to Metals Plus to pick up my order, here are two valuable lessons!
1. they price cutoffs by the pound. the cutoffs section is just through the curtain in the back. Not obvious!!
2. pricing for specific metal orders is probably 3x cutoff prices

So if you need something from them, don't place an order - just show up, pick up something that fits! They have aluminum, stainless, mild steel, and a pile of mild steel angle/tube. Two very large racks! (20' long each, 3-4 shelves)

Just went to Metals Plus to pick up my order, here are two valuable lessons!
1. they price cutoffs by the pound. the cutoffs section is just through the curtain in the back. Not obvious!!
2. pricing for specific metal orders is probably 3x cutoff prices

So if you need something from them, don't place an order - just show up, pick up something that fits! They have aluminum, stainless, mild steel, and a pile of mild steel angle/tube. Two very large racks! (20' long each, 3-4 shelves)
I've been saying this all through this thread!! Lol. I even gave directions how to get to the back.

And no, there are like 8 racks of cut offs.

standing in the curtain doorway, left is mild steel,
. right is stainless and aluminum. walk left then right is big cut offs of mild and carbon steel. walk right then right again there's two racks of tool steel. walk right then left there is stainless. aluminum, chrome/shaft, brass/bronze. So much stuff.
They even have a convenient (huge) sign on the wall over the cut off saws showing the colour coding of all the cut offs.

And if you can't find what you want, ask the counter guys where that particular rack is, they're happy to show you.

They sell drops cheap because usually when you buy a cut order, you pay for the whole piece/sheet. So selling the drops means they're selling something that was already sold. So they're usually eager to sell drops.

Same goes for granite guys with counter tops.

I've been saying this all through this thread!! Lol. I even gave directions how to get to the back.

And no, there are like 8 racks of cut offs.

WAT!! He said yellow shelving, and I only saw two! D: My head is exploding over here.

Anyways! The lesson here is 'never do actual orders, just buy cutoffs'.

Lol.
I do orders sometimes. Usually with sheet goods with bends. If I’m frabricating something.

I usually buy my round steel from the local steel place, but i've found is 10x cheaper to buy it from a scrap yard, but not all yards are willing to sell in small quantities and people ruining them can be difficult to deal with.

I've found the same here, scrap yards will not sell to the public, and certainly nothing less than 100kg. I have found that if you check out all the local machine shops, and heavy fabrication yards, the smaller ones are usually the easiest to deal with. They sell their scarp to the dealers for about 10c a kg. and are usually quite happy to sell it to me for that, sometimes even for free. I rarely have to buy material, only if I need a special grade.

Back