Where to go for a small welding job

JPMacG

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I want to have four 3/4-10 steel nuts welded to the top of a 2 foot long 5" steel C channel. The local welding shop has a minimum charge of 1 hour, and that would be $70. I believe that the job should take 10 minutes.

I am looking for suggestions on how to find a shop that won't rip me off. I don't want to get into welding myself - I don't have time for another hobby.

Well, if you were anywhere near me, I'd invite you over to get it done......

What about posting in one of the help forums explaining what you need:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/can-you-make-something-for-me.452/

This site used to have a map section, where you could see other members in your area.....I wonder if that still exists?

-brino

BTW: I would not necessarily consider the $70 as astronomical....it is certainly NOT a rip-off for a comerical shop with overhead (building rent, machines, consumables, insurance, etc.)

Professional shops have overhead. Rent, employees, insurance, etc.

I can guarantee that the shop that quoted their minimum charge was not trying to “rip you off”. Having a minimum charge was the only way I could keep from taking in work that actually cost me money in my business.

I had a simple policy. You could tell me what you wanted, when you wanted it, even how you wanted me to do it if you thought you knew better than me. You just couldn’t tell me how much you you were going to pay.

Hopefully you will find a hobbyist who will let you watch while they set-up and weld your job. Welding is a great hobby and trade, try it out if you have a chance.

cheers,

john

Yes, "rip off" was too strong a word. They have overhead, have to write up and track the order, pay staff and so on. They are running a business. The $70 hourly rate is actually on the low side. Being unwilling to charge for less than one hour is frustrating to me.

The last time I had a small job done it was by a friend who owned a welding shop. He did it for free while I waited. It took him about 5 minutes. I did not appreciate how much of a favor he was doing for me.

I am always impressed by folks who don't know how to do something but know how long it should take. I hope to get that good someday.
Mostly, I know how to do something and still underestimate the time it takes by a small integer factor.

I am looking for suggestions on how to find a shop that won't rip me off. I don't want to get into welding myself
Is there a local "used stuff" classified board for your area? We have one here in my city and occasionally people post to have a small job done for them. I guess you still have to have faith that the person doing the job isn't going to sky-jack the price for lousy work, but there is also a chance that a guy will be able to help you out for the odd bit of coffee money. I no longer want to take regular jobs on for people, but the odd thing that I can knock off in an hour to help someone out is sometimes a different kettle of fish. Just a thought.

Back