Where to start?

A good book on this is "Building a Single-Shot, Falling-Block Rifle Action" by Walter Mueller. There is also the de Haas "Mr. Single Shot's Book of Rifle Plans". This has several actions that can be built with common shop tools.

I have these classic books and many more on pdf. I could upload them to the references download section, but I'm not sure where that stands right now in our political climate (not a prompt for a politics discussion, please skip it) and whether or not anyone (member or non-member) will be "triggered" by the pseudo-extreme literature. I have a lot of the "old" books like that from the days of "send a SASE and money order for plans" ads in the back of Shotgun News. If I can be convinced there is no harm in uploading them, I will, but some of the material is edgy.

I've already been asked, so I will post a Dropbox link when I'm in front of the right computer. I'll post it here so it can be used (or moderated) easily.

There is nothing illegal about sharing information. These works are also public domain (no named author, no claim).

a_special_agent_uses_a_breaching_tool_during_a_training_scenario_v7.jpg

Well, @Aaron David just uploaded the plans to build a machine gun. Soooo.......
:)
Just my opinion, but if you can't handle "edgy", you shouldn't be messing with machine tools.

BTW, @Aaron David , do you think that might be a little much for a "first build"?
Just follow directions, you will get there eventually.

It is a NFA firearm, though.

I've finished an AR-9 80% build. I didn't find it very satisfying. Drill a few holes and mill a pocket in an aluminum casting. Whatever. Child's play once you have a Bridgeport clone.At the same time, I have no idea where to get started safely building a complete firearm from blank stock.

Where would you guys suggest someone with moderate machining skills start?
how about a AR lower from a billet block ?

Remington rolling block clone.

I have these classic books and many more on pdf. I could upload them to the references download section, but I'm not sure where that stands right now in our political climate (not a prompt for a politics discussion, please skip it) and whether or not anyone (member or non-member) will be "triggered" by the pseudo-extreme literature. I have a lot of the "old" books like that from the days of "send a SASE and money order for plans" ads in the back of Shotgun News. If I can be convinced there is no harm in uploading them, I will, but some of the material is edgy.

I would be interested if you do.

I saw that Machinist's Workshop has a book of collected articles on making a falling block rifle which I thought looked like an interesting project, and being a single shot not too likely to get people worked up.

I have a wild dream of making a Collier revolver replica, but that is pretty out there and not a beginners project. ;)

1678258451253.png

Ehm, I just compressed my .pdf library of gunsmithing books. It's 8.9 Gb. Might be more than I can host on my subscriptions.

I stripped a lot of stuff out that is available from the original sources (manuals and things), mainly trying to revive the edgy books from the 1980's-90's that you could buy hot off the xerox at the Paladin bookstore in Berkeley written under pseudonyms with disclaimers on page one.

I still have another library to find (yet a different HDD) that has several more old Paladin books like Poor Man's James Bond and that nasty Revenge series by George Hayduke (Poor Man's Armorer is included in my archive already). I still haven't found the rolling block plans, but I think the build is included in one of the collections too.

I never wore a tin foil hat, but I've known folks who swear by them. Hey, I grew up in the bay area while these types of subversives were actively being pursued by the alphabet agencies. It was part of the culture and urban lore, from the same city that brought you Jim Jones Christian Crusades Incorporated and Heaven's Gate (Hale to the Bopp).

Any suggestions to ease sharing?

Back