Which Dial Caliper?

Eddyde

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi All,
Yesterday, My 6" Starrett Dial Caliper bit the dust. The spring & shoe that keeps the dial body tight against the beam slipped out of the body? Not sure why it happened, it wasn't dropped, they just started to come out while I was using it. I bought it new about 27 years ago, it has only seen moderate use. One thing that always bugged me about it; a couple of years after I bought it, the part that retains the depth probe at the end of the beam fell off, as it was only a chintzy snapped on, piece of plastic! I know I could have sent it back but I simply made an improved retainer, a piece of bent wire.
Anyway, I feel it's time to buy a new one and I'm not married to the Starrett brand. I know I can fix the broken one and will, but I want something I can feel is reliable and accurate. I do already have digital calipers/mics and use them for high accuracy jobs but I prefer the analog, relative reference, of the dial for general work. I am currently looking at a Mitutoyo #505-742-53J. I would appreciate some feedback on it and other possible contenders?

Many Thanks,

Eddy

I have had several Mitutoyo calipers over about 50 years or so, I think they have been no better than the one Starrett that I have now, same flimsy plastic part, some I replaced with wire as you did.

I know there are the analogue and digital camps for measuring equipment, but my eyesight is not so good and I use digital these years. I have had my Igaging Absolute caliper for 10+ years, it has been a real work horse with no issues. The Absolute series always remembers the "0.000" reference point when I turn it on, the battery door does not fall off, and batteries last 2-3 years. You can also use it for depths with the a screw on bracket. At $50, they are hard to beat, I have the next size caliper up in a Mitutoyo, they both are equivalent in my use. The Igaging also has fractions, which can be helpful for drill sizes. If analogue dial, I would probably just search eBay for NOS dial type.

I have a pair of Etalon and 2 pair of Tesa (B&S) 6 in. dial calipers. The Tesas are by far the nicest, smoothest dial calipers I've ever used. Same problem with the depth rod retainer though. Thanks for the wire suggestion, I'd been trying to go in another direction without success.
I've never been impressed with Starrett dial calipers.

I also have had many brands and I am using them daily.
I prefer a non digital 505 742J.
No batteries
These are the hardest working tool I own, no matter what I always seem to need them. Second would be my DVOM.

I have digital and analog Mitutoyo.

The analog pair my dad bought me 25 years ago get way more use. Analog requires less thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6" digitals from Harbor Freight. Buy several when they are on sale at $10 per. Sprinkle liberally around the shop and house. No tears if they get smashed by a toppling stack of transmission parts. Usually they still work fine after major mishaps.

The only weak point on these is the battery door has a bit of wanderlust. A bit of sticky will help it stay rooted.

I have both dial and digital calipers from Mitutoyo, and use both types. If you work with metric
as well as imperial measurements the digital has the advantage of converting one to the other at
the touch of a button: very handy. I've replaced the battery in mine once in about 7-8 years, so
battery life seems good. Either type would serve you well.

I have Helios, Starrett, Mitutoyo and Etalon analog calipers and a Mitutoyo digital caliper. All work well but for analog, the Etalon is by far the best of the bunch. Smooth and very accurate and Long Island Indicator considers it the best of the breed.

The Mitutoyo 500-752-20 digital is incredibly accurate, smooth, has large digits that I can read with my old eyes and is coolant-proof. I'm on my second year with the same battery; I'm sure the auto-shut off helps.

To assess accuracy, I checked my Etalon and Mitutoyo digital against my Mitutoyo grade 0 Cerastone gauge block set and both read dead on. This gauge block set is in the range of 0-4 microns, which is way beyond what a caliper should be able to register, but both read dead on for every single block in the set. I also wrung the 1" and 3" blocks and both still read dead on.

Tesa, Etalon and Brown & Sharpe calipers are made in the same factory but the Etalon has a thumb wheel, which is important to me so I can recommend it. The Mitutoyo digital I cited is the most accurate, smoothest and easiest to read caliper I own and I can also recommend it. If I could only have one, it would be the Mituotoyo digitial but mostly because I'm an old fart.

Back