Which is better? Rockwell 11" or Clauisng 10"??

No one ever answered my Clausing spindle bearing question so I'll just say that ball bearings are probably not the best choice for spindle bearings in a lathe, regardless of who made it.

Robert D.

Last edited:
No one ever answered my Clausing spindle bearing question so I'll just say that ball bearings are a poor choice for spindle bearings in a lathe, regardless of who made it.

Robert D.

If they are thrust style bearings with preload, ball bearings are fine....Tim

Yes.

Robert D.

Last edited:
I am in the process of rebuilding my Delta Rockwell 11. It has been an expensive endeavor. Unless you know the DR lathe you are thinking about buying, and have had the chance to look it over well and use it, I would recommend staying with the lathe you have. You will be money and time ahead. If you really need the larger spindle hole diameter, or bed length (the DR has 37" capacity CTC) I would recommend going ahead and making the jump to a larger lathe. There are DR 14" lathes around for about the same price as you would pay for the 11, and the money you'll have to put in either one as you track down parts to replace will be pretty close to the same for both. A lot of the DR11s around were used in trade schools and high schools and are pretty beat and used up.

Also, the DR11 lathes came with either a threaded spindle nose or the L00 nose. Chucks and other items for the L00 are becoming more and more hard to find and are very expensive, so if the lathe you are considering doesn't come with all the tooling you are going to need, you have to figure that into your decision as well. Your Clausing may have an L00 spindle, so that may not be an issue.

The issue about parts for the DR is real. I have had little problem finding parts I need, but it takes some looking and they are very expensive. Many of the most commonly needed parts are being manufactured by home machinists now. Buying used parts is a hit-and-miss proposition, since many of the parts you find are those that are left over after another person has replaced them with a better one. Finding NOS parts is like finding a gold nugget.

I recently read about a fellow who came upon a DR 11 that was purchased new by a home hobby machinist who used it a couple years then died. His wife stored it in the basement until she finally decided to sell it this year. Now if you find one of those, I'd say buy it! Either that or call me and let me buy it!:))

Parts availability is a concern if the machine is in poor shape or lacks items like steadies, tailstock, change gears (if necessary) or requires replacement of non standard parts like special bearings.

I have a Colchester lathe that although was somewhat common, the parts are tough to find. What saved me was that the machine so well specced and in great condition. The only thing I needed to really find was a fixed steady which I eventually did for the princely sum of $180.

The only reason to upgrade a machine to another in the same general size is if the new machine is more rigid / heavier, is in better general condition (less wear on the ways and leadscrews - not paint), has more functionality (better range of thread pitches, sealed gearbox, clutch and brake etc...), is fully accessorized, or has better features like hardened bed, larger spindle bore, metric and inch dials etc...

I have fixed a few machines now and it's often the case that we get upgradeitis and don't necessarily get better machines, just a different machine.

Paul.

Back