Which lathe? (Opening a can of worms here!)

Which lathe? EVERY lathe!

OK, now that's out of the way: Sherline first probably, then Taig. The only concern is the reloading parts. Those are going to be larger and of much tougher material than the rest of your projects. You might want to look for something big and solid, like a used (small) Hardinge. Example Hardinges: lathes.co.uk , HC-CF (craigslist NH).

From the Sherline website: "This lathe can turn a part up to 3.5” in diameter over the bed or up to 1.88” over the carriage without riser blocks."

That's half the diameter of the mini-lathes. The Sherline is a micro-lathe.

Are you sure you own one? :D

The Sherline will do what you are asking regardless of how it is described.

However many moons ago I started with a brand new Unimat DB200, which has about the same envelop as the Sherline and Taig. I was using it to make RC model boat servos etc and also making small parts for old small engine restoration especially carb parts.

However after awhile the work envelop was too confining and I needed more lathe. I was fortunate to get a well kept Atlas 618. And that was 40 years ago, and I love it for everything I do. I repair old clocks so it can do small stuff very well with all the accessories I have added / made over the years.

So do you want to buy a lathe that you may grow out of...or grow into?

David

From the Sherline website: "This lathe can turn a part up to 3.5” in diameter over the bed or up to 1.88” over the carriage without riser blocks."

That's half the diameter of the mini-lathes. The Sherline is a micro-lathe.

Are you sure you own one? :D

Per Grizzly the 7x14 can turn 2-1/8" over the bed vs 1-7/8" for the Sherline, a 1/4" difference in a much more usable measurement. Sherline is available with a 3.1" chuck vs 4" on the 7x.

So much for twice the size.

David,

I'm almost finished restoring a Craftsman 6"x18" (I wish it was new.). I also own a Grizzly mini-lathe and mini-mill that were purchased new. (They were used to help restore the Craftsman.) I like the precision I hear that the Taig has and was considering one of those. The Sherline would also be a good choice but I think (maybe incorrectly) I'd get more bang-for-the-buck with a Taig.

I don't need another lathe but you can never have too many! Besides, I have a significant birthday coming up and I thought I'd treat myself. :)

I may just get a Sherline because they're nicer looking and already have the DC motor and controller built into it. (I've become attached to the DC motors and controllers on the Grizzly mini's.)

Do you ever miss your Unimat or do you still have it? (I've looked at them on ebay but I can never find one new-in-the-box. :) )

Dan

Hi Dan,

I still have my Unimat and quite a few accessories. I have made some MT2 to 12 mm x1 adapters so that I can use the three and 4 jaw independent chucks on my 618 for various set ups. I also made an adapter so that I can remove the compound on the 618 and mount the Unimat milling column and head stock on the atlas for special things.

However it has been a few years since I have turned the Unimat on. I would say that it is pretty close to as new condition though, since I really looked after it well.

David

Aaron_W,

From the Grizzly website: FactorySpecifications:Swing over bed: 7" Distance between centers: 12"

Twice the diameter of the Sherline.

If that is for a 7" rated lathe, I would say they have a misprint.

David

David,

I'm a bit concerned that after using a Taig/Sherline for a while I might just set it aside and use the Grizzly or Craftsman exclusively. The purchase of a Taig/Sherline might be more out of curiosity than anything else.

I can still make fishing lure bodies on the lathes I have and the fish won't notice the difference. :)

Back