Which lathe to buy.

I would agree with Aaron W as far as a smaller bore size on the 10" machines. However that doesn't mean you can't use a 5C collet chuck. There are several commercial ones available, or you can make your own. I made a 5C collet chuck for my Seneca Falls machine using a kit from "Metal Lathe" http://www.mlatoolbox.com/index.html

The kit costs about $120.00 plus another $20.00 or so shipping. It took me a couple weeks to complete in my spare time

projectnut,
I have a 15" Clausing/Colchester. Are you saying this kit can provide the materials needed for my larger lathe?
I have not been able to find a steady for it.

Yes. If I remember correctly the kit consists of bare castings for a 5C collet chuck, some ball bearings, and a dimensioned print. I believe I supplied the socket head bolts needed to fasten the back plate to the body. One piece has to be turned for a backplate. The one I got several years ago had a boss on the back plate of casting big enough to be bored and threaded for spindles with up to 2 1/4" diameter threads. I don't think it's big enough for an L or D series spindle. You can call Andy Lofquist to get the specific dimensions of the castings. His number is at the top right of the page I linked to in my previous post. I have spoken with him on several occasions, and he is more than ready to help.

Back