Which Lathe?

kranker1450

Registered
Registered
I just got a Pm25mv and love it. I have a Grizzly G0768 that I am looking to upgrade already. I am Looking at either the grizzly G4002 or the Pm1228. What are your opinions and thoughts on these. They will be used for hobby machining. I like to mess with firearms and stuff of that nature. I would like to start threading barrels in the future. Any input would be greatly appreciated. These are at the top of my budget. I have looked at the g4003 as well.

Thanks Krank

If you are already out of room/power/features on the 814 lathe, don't stop below 1236 size.
That would be G4003G or PM 1236

1. I am a self taught hobbyist
  2. I have a G4003
  3. While I can't say that I have asked too much of it, it has done everything that I have asked (except thread 11.5 tpi and I found 11tpi worked just fine for what I needed).

Thanks For the replies. I have looked at the G4003 also but my shop is in the basement and getting a machine of that weight into it is a real concern.

Thanks Krank

I have done some more research and between the G4003g and the Pm1236 I would lean towards the PM1236. You get more options for the same money. Plus the color would match my mill and Pm seems to be a very good company to deal with.
I guess know I need to decide between the 1228 and the 1236. The 1236 seems like a lot more machine for only $400 more, with that I just need to figure out how to get it in the basement without killing someone.

Krank

While I have the Grizzly G4003 Lathe I have a PM45M CNC Mill. I have been happy with the support I have received from both PM and Grizzly and both are solid machines from my point of view. In other words, I don't think you can go wrong either way. As for getting a lathe into a basement, I have seen several threads over the last few years of people doing just that. It looks like it can be a bit of a job but with the proper planning it should be manageable. You can also hire a moving company that specializes is this type of rigging and moving.

I have done some more research and between the G4003g and the Pm1236 I would lean towards the PM1236. You get more options for the same money. Plus the color would match my mill and Pm seems to be a very good company to deal with.
I guess know I need to decide between the 1228 and the 1236. The 1236 seems like a lot more machine for only $400 more, with that I just need to figure out how to get it in the basement without killing someone.

Krank

Lathes can be disassembled. That PM 1236 weighs 490lbs, removing the tail stock, carriage, apron and any other easily removed bits you can probably get it down to about 350lbs. Not light, but a manageable weight for a few people and some creativity. Worst case removing the head stock will probably get you down to a couple of 150-200lb loads, but then you would have to deal with getting it aligned again.

I have thought about tearing it apart except the head stock. According to the manual the lathe itself weighs 960lbs. I have a little time to figure out something since I don't have the cash yet.

Any other input between the G4003G and the PM1236 would be appreciated.

Thanks Krank

I have thought about tearing it apart except the head stock. According to the manual the lathe itself weighs 960lbs. I have a little time to figure out something since I don't have the cash yet.

Any other input between the G4003G and the PM1236 would be appreciated.

Thanks Krank

Oh, I see what I did, I was looking at the PM1228, not 1236.

Back