"Which Mill" questions

Ol' Buzzard

Registered
Registered
Hey guys, hopefully I'm posting this in the right place.

I'm wanting to get my first mill. I already have a 7x12 mini lathe, which I have already determined is too small/light/lacking rigidity for my needs and projects.

I'm looking at the Grizzly G0728/9, 0762, and 0759 mills the closest, also considering the 0801/2 and 0822 as well.

My top choice is torn between the 0728 and adding power feed and a DRO, and the 0762 and adding a DRO.

As I have learned with my mini lathe, weight means rigidity (or the lack of it) and I don't want to have the same problems with a mill, which is why I'm leaning toward the heavier mills, and away from the 0759, which otherwise looks like a fantastic machine for me other than the lack of weight.

I'd like to stay with a 110v machine, but I could run a 220 line back to my workshop in the basement if I had to, but I would prefer not to.

I'd like to stay around the $3500 ready to run mark (DRO+power feed)...

Just looking for "expert" opinions on what other machines may be out there and to see if I'm on the right track...

I bought a Griz G0730 8x30 mill last year. It is the bigger brother to the 728/9.
I bought it because of the added maximum nose height over the 6x26 mills, and partially because of the added weight.
It is a fine piece of equipment, and is serving me well.

You really do want to run these things on 220V if you have any possible way to do it. Only resort to 120V is you have no way to get 220V.

There will be multiple limitations with the Griz 728/9 as to X, Y and Z travel and probably rigidity of the design. You could go with something like a PM-727V which has longer travels in all dimensions, variable speed and runs on 120V. Often when you add a DRO your Y travel can be cut down by an 1" or so, something like the G0729 you would be left with 5" of cross slide travel, the G0759 is 5.5" which is very limiting. You are ending up with more of a drill than a mill. On the Grizzly mills I would look at the G0762 which comes with variable speed and X power feed, see coment below on adding a DRO. Also be very conscious of the table to spindle height, it can get eaten up very quickly. Moving up to the G0730 at that price range I would probably opt for the PM-835S. An X power feed is nice, but not a must have if you are starting out. You can purchase a basic 3 axis DRO for around $250, 2 axis for less. If you wanted something more end high in mill quality then the PM-833T and install your own DRO (hold off on the X feed), this would be at your budget level. DRO's are not too difficult to install, lots of information available. Just want you to get the most bang for your buck, and that you do not outgrow your mill capacities quickly. I am not promoting PM machines, they just seem to offer more capacities at similar price levels and quality levels.

I would try to get into a knee mill at that price range. (lusting for one myself...).

It appears now, and last year when I was looking in earnest, that there is a big hole in the milling market: "an adequate knee mill at the price point of $3,000". The 6x26 variety is only sufficiently functional after a 5" height is added, and the G0730 8x30 start above $3500.

For that money you can buy an old but decent Bridgeport or clone. But this of course depends on having room for it and ability to move it--or pay for having it moved.

For that money you can buy an old but decent Bridgeport or clone. But this of course depends on having room for it and ability to move it--or pay for having it moved.

What is we add the requirement that the machine has to be able to start machining accurately on arrival and require no restoration prior to getting into actual accurate machining?

There are plenty of BP clones around that would fit your requirements, but you'll need 220 and a phase converter.
Randy

Back