Which Mill to Buy

Well the 601 is a dovetail column and the 604 is round. The 604 is also 220V
The table area and travel are six of one and 1/2 dozen of the other.
The spindle stroke on the 604 is better, but I can t see what the max table height capacity is on the 601?
My vote is for the 601. The DRO's are a plus

Cheers Phil

So your looking for a benchtop? Do you really want new? Not sure of the availability of used machines in PEI but you could do better for you money used perhaps. Or maybe do a roadtrip to get a better used machine for the $.

What will you be using it for mostly?

There is no used market here at all. In fact the whole Maritime area has very little in the used line.
The mill is to be used mostly to mill slots in alum plates. It is a replacement machine for the little mill on a combo lathe/mill, so it does not have to be all that heavy. The new lathe is the 701, so I guess the 601 is going to be his buddy.

I am not sure about the DRO equipment on the 601 but hey, the mounting holes would be there if an upgrade is needed sometime later.

I was just wondering if I was missing something about the 604 that made it a "better" unit. They are both on sale but the discount is a lot deeper on the 601.

Thanks for the input!

All things considered, I would shoot for a square column. Or fix the round one so it cant move side to side. I dont know from experience on a mill but I now a drill press head can wiggle like hell moving up and down and if your already located, you just screwed the pooch.

Back