Which Miller TIG?

Alan H.

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have a Miller MIG, an old school Miller Stick/TIG (scratch start), and a Hypertherm plasma cutter. I am Miller fan when it comes to welding machines.

I am beginning to study my options for a Miller TIG. Most of what I do from a fabrication standpoint is with the MIG but I would like to have a TIG for my hobby machine shop - more precise and ornate work. I want the capacity to weld aluminum as well.

So I am looking for advice on which Miller TIG to consider.

The Synchrowave is pretty much the gold standard I've heard, but I don't own one.
Mark

The Syncrowave is the way to go. A 250 minimum even though a 200 will do for most.

It also depends on what metals you are going to use it for. If your doing strictly steel, you could probably get by with one of the other Miller welders offered. But if you are going to want to weld aluminum or some of the other exotics that don't weld good with a average welder, then you better go with a Syncrowave welder. Be aware, if welding aluminum with any high frequency welder like the Syncrowave, it take lots of electricity to run, of course, weld size is a function of that too. A 250 amp Syncrowave welder can pull up to around 90 amps on 220 volts. If you are like me, that's almost what my house pulls on a normal day in the winter, current wise, when the heater is running!
My dad had a Syncrowave 300 welder. Had it on a 75 amp breaker and never did trip it that I know of. Even on the aluminum cylinder heads he welded cracks up on.

Alen,
Without knowing what your budgeting for your Tig purchase its hard to recommend one.
I will say to start with machine you won't out grow too soon. This one has a $700 rebate and can probably found a little better priced.
https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/welders/tig-gtaw/diversion-180-tig-welder-m00337

If you plan on getting serious and require higher amperage than consider a water cooled set up but the cost goes way up.
I happen to be a fan of transformer machines but Tig units have come along way with inverter technology.
This is the setup I run with an upgraded torch.
https://www.millerwelds.com/equipme...30-460-v-foot-control-complete-package-951117
They are pricy, but transformer machine longevity has been proven to last. Not uncommon to find a 30+ year old Syncrowave for sale and in working order.

The latest and "greatest" TIG Miller offers are the Dynasty series. Very versatile with everything the Syncrowave has to offer and more. They have the ability chang the current frequency. This has made new users into pretty good TIG operators.
https://www.millerwelds.com/equipme...=dynasty-280-dx-208-575-v-tigrunner-907514001
Keep in mind, the Syncrowave and the Dynasty links are middle of the road miller offers. There is higher amperage machines available in the same series.

I first purchased a Miller Econtig back in the day and was able to work with that machine for 10 years. Originally costing $1200 and sold 10 years later for $800. I guarantee you I made more than $400 with that machine. It was kept clean and fetched a good resale (without cylinder).
These machines also stick weld (GMAW).

I seldom use my TIG, compared to the MIG, but its nice to have one in the arsenal. I can MIG weld very thin material including Aluminum but when working on funny cars, firearms and aircraft a TIG is required plain and simple. It requires special attention to tungsten selection and material prep. Takes twice as long and requires patience and practice. That said, welcome to the TIG world.
EDIT: Q&A
https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/article-library/choosing-a-tig-system-qa
Paco

Last edited by a moderator:
I have taken a little deeper look at the Miller line.

The "studies" shall continue. The price of a Miller definitely qualifies as what one could call premium. I am going to dig a bit into other manufacturers to be sure Miller is the best answer for my situation but as I said before, I am a Miller fan.

The Dynasty 210 DX has caught my eye. Here's a snippet from their spec sheet. It appears the DX is quite versatile.

1511705183044.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I would highly recommend that you look into a HTP 221, it is made by STEL in Italy which makes high end industrial welders. I have had a Dynasty and I like the HTP better, especially considering the price and the features.

Everlast has come a long way in just a short time and they are getting better...look into them and for the prices, you can upgrade for a fraction of big box names and produce just as good a result...or maybe better

I have a Miller 330 A/BP That I use for Arc - Tig.
I used the same model close to 50 years ago in the Air Force and it does everything I need it to do.

Back