Which Milling Machine To Buy?

Curtis

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone;
I am not new to hobby machining, but I only have a Taig milling machine which is surprisingly good for its size, but annoying in that there is only 8 inches of daylight under the spindle and has that completely useless (in my opinion) rotatable column which gets knocked out of tram so easily (don't even think about using a fly cutter with this mill!). S0... I am in the market for a new machine with a rigid column and a decent amount of space under the spindle- I am also looking for a rigid machine made of cast iron and steel - no aluminum.
I am presently considering either this : http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-horsepower-heavy-duty-milling-drilling-machine-33686.html or this one at Grizzly : http://www.grizzly.com/products/Drill-Mill-with-Stand/G0704 . The Grizzly is the lighter of the two and would be easier to wrestle into my basement shop, but I noticed that it seems to be merely a beefed up version of the popular "mini-mills" in that it uses the same headstock gear system. The Harbor Freight mill on the other hand would be as rigid as I could need, but I am uncertain about the quality of that machine and no nearby HF store has one to examine. Do any of you have either of these machines and if so could you comment on them please? Any input is appreciated, but be aware that I cannot manage getting a used Bridgeport (the usual exhortation is to get one of these) into my house and don't want to deal with something that heavy in any case. Thanks in advance for any responses/replies!

most machines, BP and clones can be dissembled into multiple easy to handle sub sections. good chance to clean/inspect.
You probably would be surprised at the basements these have been moved into. Looks daunting but really just a multiple task. good luck.

I have seen them in dinning rooms/porches etc.

I would offer that a Grizzly G0704 has hundreds and hundreds of satisfied users. As I usually post; Check out the hoss www.G0704.com website. the user base for help and parts are really easy to obtain. I personally like the square column mill over the round column mill.

As Rick commented - +1 on that for sure!! I am a newb. About 1.5 years into this hobby. I outgrew my 'hobby mill' in just a few months. I have now moved some crazy heavy stuff by tearing down. Enjoy the hunt!

Also check out Quality Machinery's PM25, I've been amazed at what it can do, considering its' size.

It comes with variable speed control and belt drive quiet as an electric typewriter. Same basic specs as the Grizzly 704.

Mass is the machinist's friend when it comes to milling/lathe work. Big cuts save big time. If one has only worked with bench mount machines, the first turn of large machines handle and one is doing a happy dance.
When feasible ($'s) grow into,not out of a purchase.

most machines, BP and clones can be dissembled into multiple easy to handle sub sections. good chance to clean/inspect.
You probably would be surprised at the basements these have been moved into. Looks daunting but really just a multiple task. good luck.

I have seen them in dinning rooms/porches etc.

Thanks for the reply, but I am 61 years old and partially disabled. Moving a 2000 to 2400 pound Bridgeport (even in sections) is not really within the realm of reality for me, and when you get to be my age most of your friends (if still above ground) aren't up to helping with that task either. Aside from that, the low headroom of my basement would preclude a machine that tall.

I would offer that a Grizzly G0704 has hundreds and hundreds of satisfied users. As I usually post; Check out the hoss www.G0704.com website. the user base for help and parts are really easy to obtain. I personally like the square column mill over the round column mill.

Thanks for that link! I have it bookmarked and I agree that the square column is a very attractive feature (besides which, it is lighter as well).

Mass is the machinist's friend when it comes to milling/lathe work. Big cuts save big time. If one has only worked with bench mount machines, the first turn of large machines handle and one is doing a happy dance.
When feasible ($'s) grow into,not out of a purchase.

I can't argue with the logic of mass and weight being extremely desirable and advantageous. No argument there, but in my particular case, I simply have to face reality and consign myself to a smaller, lighter and easier machine to move into place. I do have a decent sized (very old) Sheldon lathe that was a bear to move into my basement (18 years ago, when I was in better shape), so I know that a lusty, big machine is a huge advantage. Alas and alack- it just ain't reality for me. I need to choose between the two that I mentioned earlier for physical reasons mostly, not so much a monetary reason. But don't misunderstand me; I appreciate your input and your enthusiasm for the Bridgeport the "gold standard" of old style milling machines.

I have a PM25 which is the same size as the G704 and have buried a 3/8" carbide corn-cob (rougher) in 1" thick mild steel. I don't suggest doing this as a normal course of use, but it was all I had at the time. I'm just repeating this as an example of what the mill can do at the extremes.

Back