Which plastic for bearing surface- Cane Grinder

White oak makes a very good slow speed bearing, but does require some lube. Would think vegetable oil would suffice.
Lignum Vitae is an exceptional bearing material when run wet. Still used in water turbine bearings, but wouldn't be required here.

Greg

Lignum Vitae was used for may years as the stern tube bearings for ships with water flowing through as lubricant. Most ships these days have metal bearings running in oil, with oil seals at both ends.

Some hard plastics have also been used, but only small shafts, the last time I got involved, about 30 years ago the plastic shafts were limited to 6" dia.

I have also heard of Red River Gum (Eucalyptus Camaldulensis) being used as stern tube bearings, and have even heard of it being used as an emergency bearing in an engine, and as a piston. It was also often used as line shaft bearings in shearing sheds, in the old days. It is an extremely hard and dense wood.

How did the bearings work out? We've machined a lot of UHMW in 3" 4x8' sheets. I've used the drops for varius slide applications. We made sled runners out of UHMW for antarchtic boring expeditions & for guides on conveyors. Have used Delrin for various guiding tracks. IGUS sells all sorts of plastic bearings.

Well, they look like they will work, but the project got sidelined for awhile. I've cut and fitted them and once the welding is finished on the shell I can mount the rollers and see how they do. All indications are good! I will post as progress happens.

I picked up a set of cast iron rollers from a very old Cane Mill today. Originally I suspect they were greased with something and the shafts turned in the "bearings" easy enough. They don't turn fast or for very long when you are juicing sugarcane to make syrup. I'm thinking of making some plastic "bearings" to install between the shafts and caps to eliminate the need for grease. The shafts are 3 1/2" diameter, so if its a tube it would be a big one unless there is sheet soft enough to form to the radius of the caps.....Ideas? Advice?

If you don't want to make the bushings you might consider Igus (Brand) bearings.
which ou#las# oilube bushings 9:1 in agricu#lural machines.

Three trash cans full of HDPE jugs here. It's high on my 'Wanna-Do' list.
Even bought myself a new pair of shears in anticipation.
Want to make some slugs for mallets and some plate. Maybe some tool handles...
Gone any farther here?
I would love to try something along these lines.

Gone any farther here?
I would love to try something along these lines.
I have to date, three maybe four trash cans full of HDPE2, (3) Toaster ovens that I've picked up at estate sales, two pair of heavy shears for cutting said HDPE, an old bench top drill holder-press thingy to use for pressing molds, a ton of desire to get going on this, and have made absolutely no progress at all. :bang head:
:grin:

Well, at least you are honest.
To be honest myself, if you sent me everything I needed to know TONIGHT, it would be deep into winter before I found the time to fiddle with it.
At least.....maybe longer..... honestly I can't say WHEN I would get to it......:cautious::big grin:

Back