Which plastic for bearing surface- Cane Grinder

I picked up a set of cast iron rollers from a very old Cane Mill today. Originally I suspect they were greased with something and the shafts turned in the "bearings" easy enough. They don't turn fast or for very long when you are juicing sugarcane to make syrup. I'm thinking of making some plastic "bearings" to install between the shafts and caps to eliminate the need for grease. The shafts are 3 1/2" diameter, so if its a tube it would be a big one unless there is sheet soft enough to form to the radius of the caps.....Ideas? Advice?
Keith Rucker has several videos on a cane mill restoration job.

Digging around in the shop last night I came across some 1" thick sheets of hdpe plastic, old bathroom partitions. I wonder if they would hold up? There will be a thrust washer at the base of each roller that they sit and ride on. Also, some thin, maybe 1/4" material wrapping the shafts inside the bearing caps.

UHMW come to mind. Machines in ribbons but its very slippery should be good for a slow speed bearing

Keith Rucker apparently used UHMW. Here is a link to his video.

Delrin and nylon would be right up that alley
both are easy to machine

on another note,
i have heard of folks melting down old plastic milk jugs and creating HDPE slugs for machining.
( i very much want to try this :grin:)
no special tools are required.
the guy cut up the jugs into ribbons and placed them in a steel pipe crucible mold and a 225°F (109°C) oven
it will take a few cartons, small pieces are best.
let it soak in the oven until melted and remove after the plastic has formed a cylinder
let cool until the slug contracts (or devise a hinge in the mold) and remove the slug
after the shootin' match solidifies, you are ready to machine at will

to make a bearing,
you could devise a pipe inside a pipe form to create the center bore, to eliminate having to core the center out

or you could go the old fashioned method of buying sheet material and heat it up slightly until pliable enough to form over a pipe mandrel.
you may need to do a bit of math to get the correct cut on the sheet, but it is well within reach
Three trash cans full of HDPE jugs here. It's high on my 'Wanna-Do' list.
Even bought myself a new pair of shears in anticipation.
Want to make some slugs for mallets and some plate. Maybe some tool handles...
Amazing how much plastic we use and toss.

Digging around in the shop last night I came across some 1" thick sheets of hdpe plastic, old bathroom partitions. I wonder if they would hold up? There will be a thrust washer at the base of each roller that they sit and ride on. Also, some thin, maybe 1/4" material wrapping the shafts inside the bearing caps.
Are you sure it was hdpe plastic? My brother got several pieces of sheet gray plastic from a school bathroom remodel and it was very expensive graphite impregnated UHMW like what I used at work. I couldn't believe it was really it until I got it home. Now I wish I'd gotten more, fantastic stuff.

As cool as plain UHMW is the graphite impregnated is even cooler as it's even slipperier than regular UHMW. I would think it would make very good lo speed bearing. We used the special stuff for plastic link belt guides and tracks like you see in bottling plants that arc around corners and all kinds of sanitary uses as it can be sprayed down and not absorb moisture.

The stuff I have is from some very low budget bath stalls, plain something for sure, not the good stuff. I ended up buying some from McMaster Carr and the difference is amazing. The impregnated UHMW is slippery like it was oiled! I'll post some pics when I start putting the grinder together.

Back