Which Quality For Surface Plate?

I was looking at PrecisionGranite surface plates and they have some good new choices for smaller plates under $300.00
I may go with one of these instead of buying a used plate of unknown accuracy. Black granite, 12 x 18 Grade A or B.
Carts with caster wheels are $415.00

Precision Granite and Standridge Granite are sister companies. Their products are top notch. They are both made in the same plant. Here is a tour:

At the level of precision I work, the cast iron top of my table saw is flat enough, I don't have, don't expect to have a surface plate.

I use a 12" square piece of precision ground tool steel stock, which I cold blued with gun bluing for some corrosion protection and put rubber feet on. Accurate enough for what I need to do, small and light enough to store in a drawer of my rollaround, and mag base indicators stick to it.

I use a 12" square piece of precision ground tool steel stock, which I cold blued with gun bluing for some corrosion protection and put rubber feet on. Accurate enough for what I need to do, small and light enough to store in a drawer of my rollaround, and mag base indicators stick to it.
My first surface plate was a piece of 1-1/4 thick A-36 plate, 9 x 11, dad surface ground it on both sides and flipped it a couple of times called it good. Still have that piece of plate. Use it for ballast material in the bottom of one of my roll away cabinets.

I couldn't follow forum because of work/life stuff but i evaluated your recommendations and got an A grade japan made surface plate. I am pretty OK with that.
In this time i also strugled with my 2 stroke compresion ignition project which i will share it in another topic.

Salute!

Last edited:
Dear people,
I found treasure at my old school. Actually i graduated from engineering department and this lab is for workshop which belongs to another institute. But seeing this stuff in that condition literally made me sad.
There are lots of other tools most of them unused, calipers, height gauges, unopened gauge block set,microscopic edge finders, hardness testing stand etc.. Simply bad investment :(

20170428_190727.jpg

Back