Which surface grinder wheel?

bladegrinder

Registered
Registered
Hi folk's, I have a Harig 612 surface grinder that I use to surface grind high carbon barstock steel for knives and high alloy stainless also.
I just recently got this grinder a year or so ago and just been using the wheel the seller gave me with it, which is a Norton 38A46-KVBE.
this wheel works good on the carbon steel but on the stainless it builds heat and the blades get warp, this is with using coolant too.

I'm hoping someone can recommend a wheel that would work good for stainless, mostly I use CPM-154 and AEBL.
I'm having a lot of heat build up and I'm only taking 3-4 tenths off each pass. the steel heats up and wants to get high spots on the chuck and it's driving me crazy. Thanks for any suggestions I can get.

What annealed state is the bladestock in? As a general rule, the softer the stock, the harder the wheel... Your Norton Rep will be able to suggest the perfect wheel.

flood coolant, 1 tenths DOC per pass.

Thanks Dabbler, the steel is straight from the mill in soft annealed condition. I was looking at this ruby high porosity wheel, Norton 48A46-HVP2
and thought it might be good but as you suggest I might just call Norton and see what they say.

Back