Which version of the Machinery Handbook would you recommend?

With all of the editions of the Machinery Handbook, do they ever remove info, or just keep adding more as new technology develops?

They have added a lot over the years, 1st edition was 1400 pages, and the current 30th is 2800 pages, so it has doubled in size during the past 100 years (mostly thinner paper, rather than thicker book) but they have also had to eliminate a lot of information.

My 14th edition (1953) has sections for blacksmithing, forging and hand tools that are not in my 24th edition (1992). I'm sure very early editions had a lot more info about (now) obsolete fasteners that were more commonly found in use at the time.

So I guess I need an assortment of vintages.........

So I guess I need an assortment of vintages.........
Any of them will work for you. If you work on lots of antique stuff or with classic methods, get an old one. If you are more into cutting edge stuff, CNC, etc, then get a newer one. Or, get more than one. They are available at low prices if you look around. I have a 1st edition reprint which is cool just for the reading, a different time but machinists were just as clever and smart...

I have the 29th edition which I reference quite frequently. Its a pretty interesting read from cover to cover too!

Old ones are good but have a lot of information on older equipment which doesn't apply to what I'm doing. I mostly use the threading tables which will be in every edition. If you like anything CNC, you'll want the most up to date one you can find

Just picked up a brand new 19th for free and a 13th for cheap.
The Black book is a handy reference.
Bob, i'd like to see the heat treat section of your first edition. That sounds like a good time!

Evening gents! There are many versions of the M.H. And would like to get some advice on a version.
"Toolbox", "Guide" and there even be some good arguments on versions previous to the latest (30th?)
I see digital copies available, that sounds appealing, but something about a handbook draws me in. Truth be told, the oldest version I can find calls to me too, I love vintage tools....I know t he meat is unchanged, but there probably plenty that has changed.
Cheers

Many good answers so far, but keep in mind the Machinery's Handbook is meant to be a reference for the professional. The information is pertinent to the tooling, techniques, and machinery in use at the time it was written. As with all reference books the content changes over time. Each edition adds new material, and deletes material deemed to be obsolete.

I have over a dozen copies from a reprint of the original to the 29th edition. I do have a couple digital copies as well, but like you I much prefer the printed versions. The earlier editions have information about fasteners and tooling used at the turn of the 20th century, with very little information regarding metrics either threading, measuring, or tooling. The 29th edition has a considerable amount of information on metric sizing and threading, as well as information relating to CNC programing, setup, and techniques.

The machines in my shop range in age from the early 1900's to the late 1980's. Some of the versions were originally purchased to identify threads and fasteners for the older machines. In many cases I used the information to recreate original fasteners rather than change them over to more modern versions. Since all my machines are manual I tend to use the 12th through the 22nd versions most frequently.

Project nut, you may have hit.the nail on the head....that the M.H. Is meant to be a reference for the professional. I now have the 30th version, and there is handy info for the beginner as well, but yeah, much is over my pay scale...

Project nut, you may have hit.the nail on the head....that the M.H. Is meant to be a reference for the professional. I now have the 30th version, and there is handy info for the beginner as well, but yeah, much is over my pay scale...
There is no such thing as too much information. Sorting it and using it is the job of the user, not of the supplier.

Back