Which version of the Machinery's Handbook is best to buy?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
As you can see, there are several versions of the Machinery's Handbook, and a CD.

For a newbie HSM, considering a purchase (they are fairly expensive after all), which version would be best?
Can you get away with the concise version (pocket guide)?

View attachment 32495

The later editions contain material related to newer technologies, like CNC and EDM, etc., but the home machinist need very little of that in most cases. I'd vote against the concise edition though. The latest editions are nice, but I'm not sure what, if anything, was deleted to make room for the newer material.

I have a couple different editions, but just use the 17th edition as most of the charts in there have not changed in years. A used book store or e-bay might have a earlier edition for cheap, which would be good enough for the home shop. A lot of the information in the book can most likely be found on the web for free, but never looked for any since I have a book.
Paul

tell you what, i will have a extra one in a day or two, if you want to pay shipping i will send it to you, the binding is rough by this i mean the cover but the pages are all good and still holds together, its a 11th adition. i am a newbie too, if this will help just let me know, i bought this one right before i bought one off of a member on here and it will be here in a cple more days. one newbie helping another:biggrin:

ok, so don't buy the pocket guide, and get an older one like the 17th edition for manual machinery use.

Gotcha, thanks!

Nelson

oops did i step on a toe, just let me know this brain is slow at times:biggrin:

I use the 16th version here at home. 25th edition at work but for home use the older version is better for your uses.

tell you what, i will have a extra one in a day or two, if you want to pay shipping i will send it to you, the binding is rough by this i mean the cover but the pages are all good and still holds together, its a 11th adition. i am a newbie too, if this will help just let me know, i bought this one right before i bought one off of a member on here and it will be here in a cple more days. one newbie helping another:biggrin:

That is a great offer, and I would take you up on it, but I found a 20th edition for $15 plus $4 shipping online at a place called TomFolio.com.

Thanks!

Nelson

thats ok, and you did good on the price:biggrin: these books has alot of info in them , so much they'll make your brain swell:lmao: i feel my brain getting bigger going to have to buy a bigger hat:biggrin:

I downloaded the 15th edition for reading as a PDF and refer to my 27th with a magnifying glass for newer stuff. The older books just dont have all the new fangled stuff in it to bog you down.
Bob

Back