Which VFD for 10 hp spindle

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I am seriously considering using this 10 hp 900 RPM motor to power the spindle on my 10EE

I have single phase only to run it. What would be a good VFD choice for this machine? NOT buying the cheapest china one out there, but cannot go gold plated either.

I don’t have a recommendation but going over 5hp with a vfd starts getting pricey. I would stick will a name brand at the rating like Allen Bradley,teco,hitachi,etc.

Going to say up front that I would be completely surprised if anyone offered a single phase 10HP drive.

Allen Bradley and competitors offer single phase up to 3HP. I've seen China ones up to 5HP and that really surprised me.

Most VFD's will have a note in their manual that allows a three phase drive to be used for single phase with a 50% derate (typical). This means you'd need to buy a 20HP VFD to run your 10HP motor.

There are two reasons for this: first, the front end receives consistently higher current loading as the DC bus tries to recharge from a single line, and second, the added bus capacitance is required to achieve sufficient DC bus regulation with the more sparse incoming voltage pulses.

Downsides are added cost (obviously), physically larger footprint, larger inrush current, and a poor power factor (not a big deal in residential aplications).

I know Allen Bradley stuff well so if that is something you are interested in, I could help suggest a part number to look at.

Just ran across this. You might check it out.

I am a bit afraid of the above offer.

Want to go name brand. Now many VFDs that are listed 3 phase actually run on 1 phase. But some have a phase loss detector and will not run on 1 phase. Anyone happen to know if this hitachi will work on 1 phase?

Last edited:
I can only speak to Allen Bradley drives, but on the 3 phase units, you can programmatically disable the phase loss detection fault. I would assume other drives have the same feature.

I am not trying to offend anyone but I would steer clear of most AB products.
They are of high quality but over priced and over complicated. Fuji and Hitachi both have very good reputation for durability and longevity at a better price

I agree the AB fall in my "gold plated" category.

I will give this a day, otherwise flip of a coin for hitachi or Fuji.

Back