Whining End Mill

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have this new 1" Niagara rougher end mill I acquired.
Of course I had to get an end mill holder for it.
Mistake as it is unusable even at the lightest cut.
Made a short vid on a piece of scrap.

That style is primarily used for side cutting. Yeah, I know, its called an End Mill, but... the interupted flutes make for excellent roughing on the sides.

I dont have audio so I don't run videos. can't hear anything.

Two problems that I see, turning too fast and not enough feed. :) And you are doing a climb cut on a manual machine, so you have that working against you also.

Try approaching from the left side of the material, about 1/4 inch depth of cut, about 1/4 inch width of cut, and around 350 RPM.

It really requires a pretty solid setup and machine to run an endmill that large. That end mill is capable of running full depth and full width through a chunk of steel.

Okay I'll give it a try later.
I agree my Bridgeport clone is probably not rigid enough.

That style is primarily used for side cutting. Yeah, I know, its called an End Mill, but... the interupted flutes make for excellent roughing on the sides.

I dont have audio so I don't run videos. can't hear anything.
Okay I'll give it a try later.
I agree my Bridgeport clone is probably not rigid enough.

Roughing mills are not typically used for end cutting. looks and sounds like you are running too fast, and the end flutes are dull. 250 to 350 rpm is about right for mild steel. They are great for side cutting and cutting slots.

That isn't whining, that's chatter. Send that one out for sharpening.

Tried a piece of aluminum 7075 i think it was.
.100" DOC 750 rpm and also 350 rpm same sound.
According to Tom these are for side milling so will hang onto it for those jobs but will probably not use it for anything else.

Duane, that is chatter. In aluminum, rpm should be about 1600 -1800 rpm and feed should be in the 0.0045 IPT range. Roughers can be fed faster than a finisher. If you prefer manual feed, feed it so that you have a slight positive resistance to feed and I bet that chatter will clear up.

Back