Whining End Mill

fair enough. I don't think it's that the spindle is rigid or not, but that you can't put a 1" tool inside the spindle (like you can with a 3/4" endmill), so all of it is hanging outside the spindle. that plus the likelihood that the 1" endmill is fairly long, probably 4" or so, gives you a very long lever to flex things = chatter. Same as running a small diameter long reach endmill (I have a 3/16 in right now for a project) - can't take a big DOC otherwise it'll chatter and howl.

I'd sell the 1" rougher and buy a couple of quality 1/2" roughers with the money. You'll remove a lot more metal more quickly with those. Seriously - I was taking cuts 3/4" deep and 3/8" wide in alu without any trouble, just LOTS of chips!

Why, simply because I had one.
I didn't realize R8 spindle wouldn't be rigid enough.

R8 is plenty rigid for a 1" end mill , rougher or not . If you are experiencing chatter , throw the feed up . These cutters are made to cut and not rub material off . I wouldn't recommend that em for aluminum though once again . You can bury a 2 flute if you can evacuate the chips thru air or coolant . I run a 4" carbide insert face cutter on R8s all the time with no problem .

I Believe if they made a 1" R8 collet the mill could handle it.
With the end mill holder there is no way.
I tried everything.

Is this a mini mill or full size Bridgeport type ? :confused 3:

It's a full size Bridgeport clone.

Back