[Newbie] White Smoke From New To Me Mill Motor

Many motors can be wired for alternate voltages. Your motor may be wired to a voltage different than what your static converter is supplying.

It certainty is possible. I checked the serial on the mill, it's a 1963. the static phase converter that the seller sold me with the mill is rated for min 4 hp to max 8hp. seems like a lot of hp for a Bridgeport motor of this age. But I really don't know anything about the motor. it's going to a motor shop tomorrow and I'll be ordering a VFD to replace the phase converter.

It certainty is possible. I checked the serial on the mill, it's a 1963. the static phase converter that the seller sold me with the mill is rated for min 4 hp to max 8hp. seems like a lot of hp for a Bridgeport motor of this age. But I really don't know anything about the motor. it's going to a motor shop tomorrow and I'll be ordering a VFD to replace the phase converter.
That motor is very likely well under 4 HP. Probably more like 2 HP, but check it out...

I bought an edge bander for next to nothing 10 years ago. He was having trouble with the glue pot motor burning out. He had an electric motor shop rewind it . It was hooked up to the wrong voltage inside the machines transformer. Was supposed to draw 1.2 amps and was drawing 6amps while running. I changed the wires to 230 volt on the transformer and it dropped down to .8 amps running. Have not had a minutes trouble in the ten years I have owned it. Not saying this is what is wrong but like Bob has said the motor could be rewound to a different voltage.
Martin

The motor could have been toast to began with, that may be reason why it was sitting.
You have nothing to loose at this point, so take it off and remove the outer cover. look at the wires and see if its wired for 220 or 440, the wires have metal tags that are numbered and its easy to match them to the diagram on the cover and see how its wired.

Many of these mills that came out of commercial use were wired 440.
If its 440 he may have never tried it to see if it worked, or knew it was bad when he got it and let it sit waiting for a motor to show up.

Last edited:
Back