Who has an ALSGS table feed, and did yours fail?

Flynth

Registered
Registered
I'm trying to find out how reliable those ALSGS table feeds are (especially AL-310S). They seem to be everywhere in youtube videos. I have one too on my Chinese bf25 Mill clone. Now, my feed failed with a blown motor winding, also rotor bearings despite being used maybe 5 times a year for 5 years only(its practically new for a machine tool). I use my mini mill mostly for drilling and taping as I have a large mill for milling. So I don't use the table feed very often.

When the motor blew I thought it was the control board issue. Then I found out the board works fine, but the motor's rotor has a short and another broken winding (overheated). I tried to get a spare rotor at first, but no one locally had it and I didn't want to wait for one from China so I rewound it. There is more about it in another thread of mine. Then I found the bearings are shot too... And I remembered, when searching for AL-310S on Aliexpress results for spare motor armature are more popular than the device itself.

This makes me wonder, how many of them fail. Is there some design fault? Perhaps something can be done to prevent future failures.

For example the bearings they use are 607z standard roller bearing double shielded. The shield doesn't protect the bearing from dirt and lack of lubrication, but there is some grease around the bearings so they should be fine, right? Then both ends of the motor shaft use spring washers between the bearing pocket and the outer race loading those bearings axially. Further, the shaft uses a helix gear which also produces an axial load.

So would it make sense to choose a sealed bearing, or maybe deep groove ball bearings instead of those standard ones(due to axial load) ?

I almost smoked my motor again after rewinding it by not noticing bearings are shot initially. Any symptoms of them being bad appear only when the load from those spring washers is applied. Turning them in your hand they feel fine as far as I can tell.

Anyone else had issues with it?

I had one quit. It was my fault, not it’s. Took it down to my neighbor and it had melted part of the brush holder. Built it up with epoxy and it works as good as it ever did. It is a spare as the replacement has been going fine for over 5yrs now. I keep thinking I’d like to set it up as a Y axis drive for my RF30 but too many other fish to fry.

I have one on my PM 727 and it has been doing fine for the last four years.

I would say once or twice a week. probably 30 minutes or so at a time, sometimes longer.

I would say once or twice a week. probably 30 minutes or so at a time, sometimes longer.
That is a fair bit of use. Can I ask if you also use rapid traverse normally (every now and then when moving the table)? Also do you have a 110~120V unit or 240V?

I'm asking, because I'm trying to determine if those little motors are not pushed beyond their rated voltage during rapid traverse.

Yes I use the rapid traverse, if just switching directions doesn't work well for the work. I do use it to move to the ends of the table instead of cranking. My unit is 110v

Back