Who made this lathe and where do I find the parts?

Truebane

Active User
Registered
So, my dad bought this off of a local jeweler/blacksmith 20+ years ago. I know from reading here that it is a Watch/clock makers lathe. The wheel thingy that I assume is the faceplate (because of the taper that fits the front of the headstock so well) says "German" and is 40 tpi. Yes, there is some other stuff there as well, but it looks like the previous owner added it...

So, even if no one has a clue "what" it is, where do I find some parts I can mod to fit it?:))

Oh, and the whole thing is about a foot long. should have said that earlier...

Thanks
Karl
IMG_1276.JPGIMG_1277.JPGIMG_1278.JPGIMG_1281.JPGIMG_1279.JPGIMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1276.JPG IMG_1277.JPG IMG_1278.JPG IMG_1279.JPG IMG_1281.JPG IMG_1283.JPG

I know nothing about that lathe, or who made it. But polish that sucker up and it would be the best damn looking paperweight/desk art I have ever seen!

:man:

Cant help with a manufacturer either, but you might look up jewelers and watchmakers lathes on Google and see if you can find one that is similar. Then by process of elimination you can probably figger out who built it, then you might be able to pursue parts and additional info. That could be a real find if it was polished up and had some tooling. It definitely looks to be after the turn of the century, but I think not too far into the 1900's. I am just guessing though. Keep us filled in on what you find, I would like to know who built it too. I love neat little tools like that.

Bob

Hi,
Unless there is something on the headstock or the end of the lathe bed it is hard to tell the maker. Most of the German made watchmaker's lathes like Boley had beds that were about 11" long while the American Watchtool (later named Derbyshire) and some other American lathes had 12" beds. The American type of WW (Webster Whitcomb) type of lathe was invented in the 19th century and many lathe companies adopted that style. If you "Google" Watchmaker Lathe" you will find a lot of info. Although your faceplate is German it would also fit American lathes. If you can lay out all the "stuff" that came with your lathe perhaps I can identify some of it for you.
From your picture it would seem that you are missing a tool rest and draw bar at the least.
Maurice

...how do I go about cleaning my "new" paperweight without messing it up? I will look up pics on google and see what I can find for matches. and it is missing a tool rest and draw bar and motor etc.

Karl

...how do I go about cleaning my "new" paperweight without messing it up? I will look up pics on google and see what I can find for matches. and it is missing a tool rest and draw bar and motor etc.

Karl

You could try scotchbrit pad and WD40 to clean up the end of the bed to see if there are any markings. It does look good. You can always rig up a motor and belt to drive it.

i'd go with steel wool and wd-40. scotch brite can be pretty darn aggresive

so it looks like either a Kampe http://www.lathes.co.uk/kampe/
or a derbyshire... kinda. the base is a rebuild, and i don't know about the faceplate, it could be an add on from another lathe.

So I discovered a few things today upon cleaning it:
1. The Lathe Bed is a remake. The dead giveaway, aside from the tooling marks the cleaning showed was the almost legible "Hardware Hank" price tag under some masking tape!
2. The head stock (and tail stock I think) are from a Derbishire WW Lathe. Just missing a couple bits.
3. I hate Brasso. I already knew that, just thought I would mention it tho.

Thanks for help folks! Now, where do I find parts?

Karl

Ebay is your best bet for parts. Most parts are interchangeble. You can make alot of what you need.

Back