Who majes a good 6" independant 4 jaw chuck?

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
Hi guys,Another dilemma, only found cushman ( made in england) since 2005 whrn republic drill took them over.
All steel and steel adapter plate theaded 2.25 by 8 spindle.
Buck and bison start at 8" for 4 jaw ind.
Does anyone know what other companies might have a 6" ?
Buck is made in taiwan now for atleast their 6" 3 jaw scroll adjust tru chuck.
Thanks,
Jon

Bison does indeed sell a 6" 4J independent. Traver's has it but it's a bit pricy at 1000+

Matt ad Nicole at Precision Matthews / Quality Machine Tool are authorized Bison dealers and they take good care of us... Just got off the phone with him about my CNC mill and he mentioned his price on that chuck is about $750. http://www.machinetoolonline.com/bisonchucks.html

BTW, that's a very high end chuck...

Ray

Bison does indeed sell a 6" 4J independent. Traver's has it but it's a bit pricy at 1000+

Matt ad Nicole at Precision Matthews / Quality Machine Tool are authorized Bison dealers and they take good care of us... Just got off the phone with him about my CNC mill and he mentioned his price on that chuck is about $750. http://www.machinetoolonline.com/bisonchucks.html

BTW, that's a very high end chuck...

Ray
Thanks, yes i know it is one of the better chucks, as long as they have a 2.25 by 8 adaptor plate for the spindle, sounds good. Cushman chuck is 740.

Thanks
jon

Sorry, I didn't think to ask about a backing plate... I'll find-out for you and PM offline...

Ray

Thanks, yes i know it is one of the better chucks, as long as they have a 2.25 by 8 adaptor plate for the spindle, sounds good. Cushman chuck is 740.

Thanks
jon

Re: Who majes a good 6" independant 4 jaw chuck?

Sorry, I didn't think to ask about a backing plate... I'll find-out for you and PM offline...

Ray
Thank You very much,
jon

- - - Updated - - -

F

Ray
Thank You very much,
jon

Kalamazoo Chuck Manufacturing Company's website: http://www.kalamazoochuck.com/index.htm, shows they make a 6 inch 4 jaw independent chuck with a flat back (and also a 6 inch direct mount one, but apparently only for a D1-3" spindle nose). Their website says "Made with quality and pride in the USA." I have no experience with this company's products and would interested to hear if anyone out there does. As you'll see the website says nothing about price or availability.

David

Ome,

Check your private messages. Yes, he has two kinds of backs in that size in stock....

Ray

The problem i have come up with is the 2.25 by 8 is not available in 6" in many companys.
Only found cushmann to still make in England.
Bison did not show that had that threaded backplate for 2.25 by 8.
Thanks

jon

Matt has the 6" 2.25 x 8 in stock. They are like all chucks backs and are "semi-finished". You need to fine tune them as it's just not possible to come from the factory with a perfect fit to your machine.

Ray

The problem i have come up with is the 2.25 by 8 is not available in 6" in many companys.
Only found cushmann to still make in England.
Bison did not show that had that threaded backplate for 2.25 by 8.
Thanks

jon

I spoke to Matt , really nice guy. My problem with the only chuck he has in 6 inch only fits a rough finish cast iron backing plate.
I do not like cast iron for plates and The plate must be:
1-turn a step and shoulder to fit inside chuck.

2 - drill 4 bolt holes in the plate exactly in line with the chucks holes.

3 - tap all 4 holes

4 - then face off the plate to fine tune.
Prices for precis mathews in a bison plain back 750. And the plate was 110 of so and an extra key was anout 50

Prices for a cushmann( made in England) 740.
And 275. For the plate. And about 60 for the key.
I will gladly pay the 175. To not have to do the work on a brand new plate , i do not feel i have the necessary experience to take it on.
Thanks guys for all your help. Thanks ray
jon

Back