Who makes a good set screw ???

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
I'm adjusting my tailstock on my grizzly g0602 now that got one of those edge tailstock alignment bars. first time I did it with rulers but I'm gonna make something and want the tailstock to be lil more accurate and I can already tell the set screws in there are soft and will strip if i tighten them to much or have to do this again cutting tapers etc so I figured I'd change them out to something better. I actually pondered just using 2 regular hex bolts but I think I'll stick with the set screws for now . most places around here carry Hillman which aren't much better so I figured I'd see what others have used thanks

Never buy cheap setscrews!

I carry with me side cutting pliers and is not uncommon to give the bolts i'm looking for little nip in the store to see if they are really 10.9 or 8.8 grade, you can try that trick evan if it cost you few pennies, you have a piece of main they won't strip next time they need to come out.

All the screws I've ever ordered from McMaster Carr have been of very high quality.

I am planning on replacing ALL the set screws on my import QCTP holders. I just need to find out the size-BXA-Phase 2.
This Thread came at a good time. I know Mcmaster Carr is a great source. Good pricing too for quality packages.

I have replaced all the setscrews on my tool holders. What an improvement.
I have 2 different size screws . The smaller ones are M8×1.25×20mm.
The larger screws are M10×1.5×20mm.
I bought them from McMaster Carr.
Joe Hynes

Back