Who makes a good surface grinder small enough for a basememnt home shop?

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
Looking for a surface grinder to add to the tool room
Thanks jon

As far as new production, no one seems to make a small one. I've been encouraging Matt at Precision Matthews to address that for a while now and he's aware and has his eyes open.

BTW: the smallest ones that I've seen are 6x12. They're usually very heavy (800 to 1500 lbs) as the mass is needed to control any vibration.

Ray

Looking for a surface grinder to add to the tool room
Thanks jon

I know someone with a very small surface grinder- 200lbs or so. I believe it is Sanford.

If I am correct, he is selling it. He is in NJ. But I will look today at the information on it for you to look locally.

Bernie

Yes. Sanford SG48. Very small, very tabletop. Thing is, they go for $$$

Bernie

Enco sells a 6" x 12" bench top surface grinder. I have one but even it weighs about 450 lbs. It can be bought with or without a base cabinet.
A cast iron eye is mounted on top.
I've had to move mine twice and using a cherry picker made it easy.

Enco sells a 6" x 12" bench top surface grinder. I have one but even it weighs about 450 lbs. It can be bought with or without a base cabinet.
A cast iron eye is mounted on top.
I've had to move mine twice and using a cherry picker made it easy.
Thanks , can it be broken down to bring it with two people down basement steps, 28 inch doorway. ?
thanks, jon

- - - Updated - - -

The Enco grinder is kind of pricey though at $3000.
I was hoping to find a older machine , but not sure of the brands to look for: Brown and Sharpe surface grinders seem to pop up on ebay every few weeks or so.

Thanks,
Jon

Once you get a grinder also consider finding a dust collector.

Boyer Schultz are also a "2 - piece" grinder, so that may help your search as well.

Dave

Back