Who owns a Grizzly 4003 lathe from 1999 to 2005 ?

Mutt

Registered
Registered
Need a copy of the wiring diagram for the forward/reverse switch. Lost my book, Grizzly has had 3 totally different type switches since 1999.
I'm in the process of installing a good USA made rotary drum switch on my 4003. It's a1999 model I bought brand new. Geez, I can't believe how cheaply made some of the components on this lathe are. Didn't their parents teach them that if something is worth doing, it's worth doing right. ????

Have you tried E-mailing grizzly? I know I have a couple different versions of their manual saved here somewhere, I'll look for them, and see if they have a date.

Grizzly doesn't save obsolete stuff, then they try to sell ya stuff that is "upgraded" from the newer model. But the stuff rarely fits with machine work to it. Hope ya can find teh diagram. My lathe is down until I get the wiring diagram to install a switch

I think I have a 2000 G4003 ( I am not sure how to find exact year, I bought it used), my manual doesn't have any wiring diagrams, but the online PDF does have detailed wiring diagrams. I am not sure how much the wiring has changed even if the switch did.

Single cap or dual cap motor? That's the main difference, and modern diagrams are available; I/we can walk you thru it
mark

It's a single cap on top of motor. The start is a set of centrifigal points on the motor end cover. I'm guessing the cap is for RUN only. I will use this drum switch I recently bought

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reversing-Drum-Dayton-Switch-2X441-Single-Phase-Poly-Phase/153253775585?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Here are some pics of the tear down. Maybe one of you electricians can decipher this mess for me? Lathe is 220v 1 ph. 2hp

Here is where the cheap plastic switches are. This was the original start switch set up,
then they changed to a mini rotary switch, now to 2 limit switches
DSC02824.JPG

cheap plastic junk
DSC02825.JPG

wires removed from old switch
from bottom to top of pic
red jumper
green/yellow ground
red #4
blue #5
black #6
brown #7
DSC02826.JPG
new rotary switch
DSC02827.JPG
diagrams inside of cover
DSC02830.JPG
DSC02829.JPG
off
DSC02831.JPG
forward
DSC02833.JPG
reverse
DSC02832.JPG

Last edited:
on the revised set up, the wires are all the same colors, but 2 of the numbers have been swapped

original wires (As seen above pic)

red jumper
green/yellow ground
red #4
blue #5
black #6
brown #7

new wiring

red jumper
green/yellow ground
red is now #7
blue #5
black is now #4
brown #7

perhaps these 2 wires make the switch reverse it's directions on the handle?

Same switch as on our Jet BDB-1340A. The manual is available on line if interested.

Back