Who owns a Grizzly 4003 lathe from 1999 to 2005 ?

From the pictures you posted the red actually looks more like yellow, but anyhow:
I think brown + black is the power pair and blue + yellow (red) is the motor pair. Or vise-versa.
I was going to post a possible hookup but it looks like it wouldn't have worked- I need to study the new manual a bit more
I shall return
Mark

Last edited:
From the pictures you posted the red actually looks more like yellow, but anyhow:
I think brown + black is the power pair and blue + yellow (red) is the motor pair. Or vise-versa.
I was going to post a possible hookup but it looks like it wouldn't have worked- I need to study the new manual a bit more
I shall return
Mark

Ok, so I hooked up my original wires like shown on this new diagram using the colors, , (not by the numbers on my original wires)
Plugged the power back in and flipped the drum switch forward, nothing, Reverse nothing. If I flip the drum switch in either direction and push the lathe ON button and hold it in, the chuck turns. If I let off the ON button everything stops

switch wiring.jpg

Yea I'm not surprised, that drawing above won't have any relation to your drum switch, it actually represents a pair of spdt microswitches

Isn't the motor controlled by two 24v contactors, one for forward, one for reverse. so isn't this forward reverse switch just a low voltage switch?

I think the power button (not estop) should latch the third contactor.

Yea I'm not surprised, that drawing above won't have any relation to your drum switch, it actually represents a pair of spdt microswitches

So I might have to get rid of the buttons on the "switch board" on the lathe's front,
Left is KILL button, I'd need that,
the next is ON ,
the next is Jog (which I never use any way)
and last, the light that tells ya the machine is on. (which I also don't need)

What would be my next step? I have seen this switch on all kinds of lathes, drill presses, mills, etc. I am sure it can be used on this . The micro rotary drum switch, which Grizzly used (for an undetermined amount of time) is basically a mini version of this Dayton drum switch

It should be possible to use the drum switch in place of the old plastic switch, but the circuit is a bit convoluted- I'm sure one of us can figure it out but it might take a couple days, hang in there
mark
Mutt: can you take a super close up pic of the old switch and show how it was connected? That would be a big help

Last edited:
Can you test for 24v AC on the black wire at the switch to ground (green and yellow)

I still have to dig out my old computer, but from what I see, you are trying to switch from one style switch, to another.

Going by Mutts diagram, the switches do the following:

Direction 1,____ 7 and 5 are connected.
Off,____________ 4 and 5 are connected.
Direction 2,_____4 and 6 are connected.

And of course the green is ground.

Maybe someone can decipher the right connections to get the drum switch to do the same things. When I get to the house, I'll check back in on here.

Is there more to this switch? where does the orange wire in the back go?

dsc02825-jpg.281027

Last edited:
Can you test for 24v AC on the black wire at the switch to ground (green and yellow)

Kill button out (the power will be ON) both thew black, and the brown wire, have 19v + AC. Kill button in (power OFF) black and brown both have 10v AC

Back