Who owns a Grizzly 4003 lathe from 1999 to 2005 ?

I still have to dig out my old computer, but from what I see, you are trying to switch from one style switch, to another.

Going by Mutts diagram, the switches do the following:

Direction 1 7 and 5 are connected.
Off, 4 and 5 are connected.
Direction 2 4 and 6 are connected.

And of course the green is ground.

Maybe someone can decipher the right connections to get the drum switch to do the same things. When I get to the house, I'll check back in on here.

Is there more to this switch? where does the orange wire in the back go?

dsc02825-jpg.281027

The square end of the shaft that used to turn the motor on and off, had a plastic cam pressed onto the end of it. When ya raised or lowered the handle, it pushed the cam towards the switch, which would connect one set of contacts and the plastic cam would turn to close one or the other sets of contacts

Last edited:
It should be possible to use the drum switch in place of the old plastic switch, but the circuit is a bit convoluted- I'm sure one of us can figure it out but it might take a couple days, hang in there
mark
Mutt: can you take a super close up pic of the old switch and show how it was connected? That would be a big help

Unfortunately not. I didn't take a picture of the switch before I took the wires off today. That is one reason I was hoping someone had the owners manual from around 2000. It would show how those plastic switches were hooked up

These are from the manual for the Jet we bought around 2000. It uses the identical switch.image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
What happens if you touch (quickly ) black to orange or black to blue One at a time?

I stand corrected on the caps. The data plate on the motor says " Dual Capacitor induction motor" I remember about 5 or more years ago, I think one of the caps went out. It must not have been the run cap as I've been running it for that long since. If I remember right, I just removed the old cap, taped off the wires to it and left it at that. Guess I better find out what mf that lower cap is and get another while this lathe is down

Just a quick touch of black to orange, Listen for a contactor to close

Just a quick touch of black to blue, Listen for a contactor to close

I dont think it is going to work because I think you need the 3rd contactor to close 1st

This is done by estop out which powers start button, start button powers and latches on the 3rd contact. this powers the forward revers switch

It might not be 24vac when 3rd contact closes it might be 110v Man the diagrams are difficult to follow

Here is from the 2008 edition for the G4003G gunsmith lathe. I think this is the switch you have.

I also attached the Shop fox version of the lathe. Probably the same wiring, but you never know. I can't find the older version of the 4003, I'll keep looking.

Have you checked with Grizzly, to see if the switch is still available? It may be cheesey, but it did last a good bit. Would be nice to have the saddle lever for stops, and starts.

switch1.PNGswitch2.PNG

Attachments

• g4003g_m.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 2
  • m1112_m.pdf
    14.3 MB · Views: 0
What happens if you touch (quickly ) black to orange or black to blue One at a time?

I jumped the red/black and the blue black and nothing happened. Then I tried the red black while holding the ON button. Nothing. Then the black blue holding the ON switch, nothing.

Then I turned the drum switch on to the forward position, jumped red black and held in the ON button and the motor turned CW.

If you hit the KILL button, then unlock the KILL button and flip the rotary switch in either direction nothing happens

If ya flip the rotary switch FORWARD and ya hold the ON button in, the motor will stay running until ya let go of the
ON button.

For a few times. I could flip the rotary switch in either direction and it would actually come on and stay on until I moved the rotary lever back to off. But when I kit the KILL button , I had to start all over again with this process.

IT has a mind of it's own right now. Some times it will go FORWARD on Forward, some times it will go CCW on forward ???? I don't see any kind of electornics on here. just junctions and contactors

Back