Who Woulda Thunk-it, A Thread I didn't follow.

Whyemier

Active User
Registered
Machine thread that is. I came face on with my ignorance recently. :disillusion: I was looking to add a metal hold-down strip to two of my vernier calipers (both old Starrett tools). The piece that holds the 'depth' bar down was missing. Now I knew these were small screws, I'd only been looking at them for a couple of years. No need to fix them as I had other verniers in my collection and other projects to do also. I've seen small screw in electronic devices (e.g. Computers, phones, anything with transistors, my glasses, etc.) so I shoulda known this but I have always thought a number 4 screw was the smallest (denying the evidence right in front of my eyes).:idea: Number four was way bigger than the hole would take. Hmmmm. Started looking around the shop for smaller screws and ran up on a box of "Brownel Fillisterhead screws". Got em at a 'groj sail' sometime back but didn't investigate to see what I had. Lo-n-Behold! :confused 3:They start at 0-80 then go up, 1-72, 2-56, 2-64, 3-48 & 3-56 before they get to a number 4. Hmmmm, ignorance may be bliss but not in my case. Unfortunately none of them would fit.
What is this, do Starrett tools use metric thread? :devil:
On the brightside, which I am not, I did learn something so I ain't dead yet.:geek::shhh:

Aside from that, how do they cut them? I couldn't cut any of the small threads on my lathe, just don't have that skillset. Someone musta cut the first on a lathe

somewhere.:applause:

Who woulda thunk it?!

The same part on my 40 year old Mitutoyos was plastic and fell off many years ago. I made a new piece from a scrap of copper and used copper nails like tiny rivets. The fix isn't "factory" but it will out live me.

You can contact Starrett and have them send you the right screws. They are very responsive and the parts are quite fairly priced and sometimes are sent free.

Starett may well have used a proprietary thread. I recently tried to make a mount for one of their test indicator bars, the thread was between a 12-28 and a 1/4 - 28.

Greg

Starett may well have used a proprietary thread. I recently tried to make a mount for one of their test indicator bars, the thread was between a 12-28 and a 1/4 - 28.

Greg
I did the same, Greg, on a mounting post for an old Starrett 196 plunger back indicator set. I ended up making the thread to the dimensions of the old one, no problems. I think my thread was 32 TPI, but between an 8-32 and a 10-32. I read where Starrett did that a lot, because they made their own tools and could make what they wanted to.

Thats exactly where I ran across it Bob maybe a 196A. I wanted a larger bar for the shaper tool post. Wasn't going to try single point threading an internal thread under 1/4, so made a new rod, now they stay together as a set.
KIMG0479.jpg
Greg

Back