Who's Actually Needed A Fwd Assist?

n3480h

Active User
Registered
Just curious. It seems a failure to fully chamber in civilian AR15 use might be an indication of a problem like improperly sized brass, wrong ammo (.222 is very similar), or a poorly made chamber . . . in which case we'd like to correct the problem before hitting the bang switch. If you've needed to use fwd assist in an AR15, please provide some detail about why it was needed, and if it resolved the problem.

Tom

I've needed to use it but not in the civilian model. In the case where I used it, the rifle was dirty as it had shot many rounds prior to needing the forward assist. In the military world, the forward assist is a step in the process to resolve a misfire.

I've needed to use it but not in the civilian model. In the case where I used it, the rifle was dirty as it had shot many rounds prior to needing the forward assist. In the military world, the forward assist is a step in the process to resolve a misfire.

Ahhh Yes... SPORTS Slap (mag) Pull (Charging Handle) Observe (Chamber) Release (Charging Handle) Tap (Forward Assist) Shoot

I remember this well, it was beat soundly into my brain in Basic.

Lots of people are using FAs for "tactical chamber checks", pull back enough on the charging handle to ensure a round is chambered and then press the FA to ensure the bolt is in battery.

The discussion about FAs is nearly as contentious as direct impingement vs piston.

I had the opposite problem.....and although I read many places it was impossible, I got slam-fire, which emptied the magazine. Kind of a surprise first time it happened.

Like most of us old timers I was taught in the Marine Corps to hit the forward assist every time I chambered a round. I like FA's so much I made them for rifles that never had them:

HSG1Finished091111008.jpg

NewFAinstalled040811016.jpg

I had the opposite problem.....and although I read many places it was impossible, I got slam-fire, which emptied the magazine. Kind of a surprise first time it happened.

If you know all this already, great, please don't be offended by the seemingly simple statements.

Although not impossible, it's highly unlikely. First culprit I would look for is a sticking firing pin. There is a guy serving time in a federal prison fighting for his freedom because his buddy borrowed his AR and shot it till it was so dirty the firing pin got froze by the gunk. When the buddy fired it, it mag dumped in front of a cop at a firing range, legal action was taken and the guy said it's not my gun I borrowed it. The owner now sits behind bars over a dirty semi-automatic (as verified by the ATF) because they claim he transfered an unregistered automatic weapon.

Second, have you been working on the FCG (Fire control group or trigger hammer assembly)? Sear engagement on the AR platform is very small. Doing a "trigger job" on them can result in a number of problems including lack of sear lockup from shot to shot. If you have been working on the trigger, replace it.

Third, and a very likely cluprit. Ammo, or specifically primers. AR platform rifles use a floating pin design that typically will dent a primer by just dropping the slide release. It's very rare that gun will do a full mag dump over primers but if your buffer spring is too heavy for the weight of your BCG (bolt carrier group) and it's slamming it hard against the bolt face, it can indeed be the cause of a full runaway. If you are shooting reloads, load with CCI primers. Preferably number 41 CCI primers made extra hard for AR platform rifles. Steer clear of Federal and Remington primers with an AR. They are softer and more sensitive. Again CCI is your best bet. I have had CCI primers get crushed in a reloading press and not detonate but I am yet to have one fail to fire. I had some federal primers and they never would crush in the press, they would always go off. It gets interesting when it's a large magnum primer going off in your basement. They sound like a 22 being fired.

Remember safety first. If a firearm acts up, stop shooting it and break it down and figure out why it's doing wrong. A questionable firearm should never be shot by anyone but you. Now that you have experienced a runaway, you know to hold on and keep it down range. An inexperienced shooter that gets scared of it may drop or throw the gun, while it's still firing putting them and anyone else in the area at risk of being shot. If you can't find an obvious problem take it to a knowledgeable person and have them inspect it.

Last edited:
Keith, I am not easily offended.....you're not even close. And yes, I already knew all this, including the CCI primers. I am not reloading for this rifle, but I have in the past been an avid reloader so I do have knowledge of what you speak.

I already have had the spook of someone other than myself shooting this rifle. It was at a private range, and the shooter experienced (else he would not have shot my rifle), so there were no problems other than the unexpected runaway. It is not consistent, making it a little harder to diagnose.

I have stripped and cleaned this gun thoroughly, and can confirm that everything is clean. I immediately thought stuck firing pin myself, but such was not the case. The FCG is untouched except for cleaning. The rifle is not old, and the sear looks good. I also suspected that.

I have simply put it aside for now, but shooting season for me is coming up, so I will get it out and start with fresh eyes and see what I can find. While I am not a trained smith, I am a 40+ year machinist with nearly that long interest in firearms, so I am reasonably sure I can solve this problem. I also have a few rifles to compare components with as part of my analysis. I will find it, and let you know what I discover, just to add to the general knowledge base out there.

All in all, I sincerely appreciate your concern. It would surely be a shame to have an accident so easily preventable, as most of them really are.

I take it you already replaced the disconnector spring and and disconnector and verified that it is now catching the hammer? It's a cheap fix at least.

Back