Who's used an annular cutter on their mill?

Correct, sometimes it's nice to have more clearance and not have the table cranked up.IMG_0026.JPG

My question was basically cost wise I can buy an r8 3/4 annular holder with 2 set screws for around 70 bucks but a 3/4 endmill holder with one set screw is 25 just wondering if a single set screw is enough if not add one more and save 50 bucks

I ordered a 3/4 annular cutter that I will try in just a r8 collet if that doesn't work then I guess I'll buy a holder

My question was basically cost wise I can buy an r8 3/4 annular holder with 2 set screws for around 70 bucks but a 3/4 endmill holder with one set screw is 25 just wondering if a single set screw is enough if not add one more and save 50 bucks

If I was weighing this on $$ I would buy the end mill holder and drill and tap it, that is if I thought I needed two set screws. I guess we could walk into the theory arena to examine why an end mill is held with one set screw and an annular cutter uses two. My mag drill, like most mag drills, will not allow me to retract the spindle to eject the plug without both setscrews tightened, so I always use two.

I would be hard pressed to differentiate and declare between the two holders which was designed to hold which tool, based on the number of set screws. At the same time I would be inclined to lower the table and extend the quill in an operation detailed in firestopper's photo, versus placing the annular cutter in a tool holder. I think these are personal preference but I think the farther away from the spindle we go with the cutter, the farther away we move from accuracy.

Save your money and just use a 3/4" collet then. I use a 3/4"collet on the mill (for now), but was trying to relay a dedicated R8 3/4" weldon adaptor would be nice to prevent the traffic jam.
As far as accuracy, if your mill is rigid and you lock X,Y down your fine. These cutters will cut a 1/2 hole (cope pipe) without missing a beat so long as nothing moves. I plan on buying a dedicated adaptor soon to compliment a host of annular cutters I already own.

Well I bought a 1/2 cutter on ebay for 9.74 to try out which I thought was a pretty good price compared to 30 or more they were going for last I checked it's Chinese so will see how it goes

Back