Why a horizontal mill?

I like my little Burke #4 for surfacing or slotting long flat pieces. A 1" slab cutter works a lot better and faster for reducing wide surfaces on flat pieces, than taking multiple cuts with a fly cutter or even within 3/8" or 1/2" end mills on the vertical mill.

Plus horizontal machines are a lot of fun to work with- which is the primary reason I make stuff.

Glenn

Why are you putting cars in your workshop anyway :D:eek:
-

Funny- my "shop" is the garage...Lathe/mill combo machine, drill press and a bunch of tools are in the space between the wife's cars. She told me she didn't much care for the machines in the garage. I told her I wondered why she put her cars in my shop. She didn't really appreciate the notion.......

Just buy it and if you don't like it send it to me. That way I can return the one I am borrowing.

The small Atlas and similar machines are cute, but are not powerful or very rigid. I played with an Atlas the other day, and with steel it is infernally slow removing metal.

I have an Atlas horizontal mill, Like Bob said, small work area, not very rigid, Zamac gears, weak table feed mechanism (see Zamac gears) and small hp motors, minne 1/4 hp. I made a vertical head for mine, that uses MT#2 collets, with all the other millls I own, its been reduced to work on Bakelite pieces, I use to make. I'd buy a larger horizontal mill in a heartbeat, but the real small ones, at least for me, are basically very limited capacity, shop decoration.

If you have to ask, you don't need it.

Need? NEED? As far as I know, nothing in this forum is about "need". :)

Bob, that was my thinking. A horizontal can hog off more metal.... for equal sized machines. I haven't seen this one yet, though I have been trying to get ahold of the owner. But I suspect it will be more of a conversation than a workhorse. I still have my HF 7x12 lathe setup even though the SB is the only thing being used. This would most likely be of the same usefulness.

15 inch table is kinda short- my Diamond mill is 5 x 20 and it's JUST enough.
Mark S.

Back