Why are gear tooth gauges so ridiculously expensive?

JohnAspinall

Active User
Registered
Screw pitch gauges are cheap - say $5 for a cheap one. Exactly the same technology could be used to stamp out a gear pitch gauge. Why do they cost ten times as much?

If you can find a Boston Gear catalog on eBay, they have full scale drawings of gear profiles that can be compared with the
actual gear. Perhaps not as nice as a gauge, but actually it works just fine.

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0950.jpeg

Last edited:
I've got a plastic gauge and the more durable steel leaves. Below is a link to the "what I bought today" thread with a scanned photo of my plastic one. You should be able to print the photo, glue it to chip board and trim to size.

Bruce

Do you have access to a 3d printer?
I added a gear generator app to Fusion 360, generate a rack of however many teeth and the pitch you want and print. May not be as durable as the metal ones ... but cost a couple cents per gauge. I'm dealing mostly with 5 & 6 Dp gears ... and that has worked fine. You may run into issues going to finer Dp gears ... I guess it would depend on printer and slicer accuracy.

Yeah. New they are outrageously priced. But you can find them on eBay. Sometimes you’ll find one priced fairly. I bought an older hard cover gear catalog...think it was Martin Gears. It has all the profiles with full sized pics. Very very nice item in my opinion.
But then I ran across a metal Boston Gear metal gauge set. So win-win.

Don’t know if his prices will qualify as outrageous or not, but it’s one source for new.

-frank

231F56FB-907C-4F85-8B46-8D3536F78EC5.png

You have to be patient when on E-bay. It took me awhile to find a Boston Gear set at a reasonable price. They do pop up though.

Back