• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Why are small vertical metal cutting band saws virtually nonexistent??

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

TerryH

In the shop...
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I'd love to have a small slow speed vertical band saw. If there were such a thing other than a couple of micro ones I saw. I don't really have room for the foot print of the typical 4x6 saws nor do I care for the tables so would have to build one right from square one. Not enough adjustment to get the blade guides where they really should be etc... I'm going to build a table for my portaband and that will likely suffice but I'd certainly buy something if there was something to buy. Not enough demand for the manufacturers to bother with producing such or??

cjtoombs

Active User
Registered
You should look for an older model wood cutting bandsaw with a non built in motor, you can add a countershaft to the drive to slow it down. I have an old Craftsman (King Sealey) 3 wheel bandsaw that is slowed down for metal cutting. I order bi metal blades for it and it works great for metal. I think the newer small bandsaws all have a direct drive motor, so changing them over is much more difficult.

T Bredehoft

Active User
I've used vertical metal cutting band saws in my working life. They come with built in 'pullers" that you hook up to the piece you're cutting (wrap a bicycle chain around the piece and pull on both ends). It takes forever, you stand there and watch so the saw doesn't hit the chain, or so it doesn't stray from the line you're cutting. Time is measured in hours, sometimes. With a horizontal, you set it up and walk away, doing something productive while it cuts. This is iron or steel.
Aluminum, yeah, you can use high speed, but you've gotta keep the blade 'waxed' to keep the gullets from filling up. I use my verticals for aluminum on a regular basis.

PMartin

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
SWAG Offroad makes a stand/table for a variety of Portabands. No sense reinventing the wheel when you can purchase something at a reasonable price. SWAG Offroad

pacifica

RGL
I converted an older Rockwell 14" band saw,Drive is open so easy to convert, bought a boston gear box 10:1 on ebay for minimal amount and connected to motor shaft. It runs about 150 fps. Stiff enough for 4 " steel and can cut curves. I use a bi-metal blade which lasts a long time.
Add 2 pulleys and a belt and ready to go.

Footprint is about 4' by 2.5'.

Attachments

mikey

Active User
I'd love to have a small slow speed vertical band saw. If there were such a thing other than a couple of micro ones I saw. I don't really have room for the foot print of the typical 4x6 saws nor do I care for the tables so would have to build one right from square one. Not enough adjustment to get the blade guides where they really should be etc... I'm going to build a table for my portaband and that will likely suffice but I'd certainly buy something if there was something to buy. Not enough demand for the manufacturers to bother with producing such or??
I understand your requirements but I would MAKE room for a H/V bandsaw and make a good vertical cutting table for it. No other tool in the shop saves more time and work while taking up so little space.

Bi11Hudson

Artificer00
I may be out of touch with the current state of affairs, but several years back I saw where horizontal band saws could be swung up vertical. There wasn't any feed or other automation but they could cut the metal. I personally never used one, my work is so small. But I do remember seeing them. Harbor Freight had several, but they (HF) often carry weird stuff that is a "one off" article. Watching around may help.
Bill Hudson​

jdedmon91

Registered
Registered
SWAG Offroad makes a stand/table for a variety of Portabands. No sense reinventing the wheel when you can purchase something at a reasonable price. SWAG Offroad
This is my set up

I have a HF bandsaw on the swag table. Less than 300 in the setup
Here is a video I have on my channel on the saw

I made a plate and mounting system for my workbench that allows me to fasten the bandsaw table to the bench. This is one of the handiest tools in my shop. Here is the video on the plate
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janderso

I just purchased a metal/wood vertical band saw made by Jet, model 14500.
The footprint is 24” X 16”.
Pretty compact.

Attachments

tomw

I third the SWAG route. I really like mine for a small shop.
A great little setup.jpg

TerryH

In the shop...
View attachment 268995
Definitely a cool setup. Especially if you have a Milwaukee saw like yours so the table is made just for it. I know it's totally goofy to be this OCD but I just can't stand all the extra holes in the top on the one's that fit my elcheapo Harbor Freight saw. I have some 1/4" plate to make a table for mine that will be held in my woodworking vise.

jdedmon91

Registered
Registered
View attachment 268995
Definitely a cool setup. Especially if you have a Milwaukee saw like yours so the table is made just for it. I know it's totally goofy to be this OCD but I just can't stand all the extra holes in the top on the one's that fit my elcheapo Harbor Freight saw. I have some 1/4" plate to make a table for mine that will be held in my woodworking vise.
As I showed I did go with the HF saw, and I have the universal table with my SWAG table. As you can see I did mount a handy box with outlets and a switch for my saw on the table. Also I made up the plate in the second video to fasten the table down to the workbench. Later I knocked out some thumbscrews to use in the front holes. Now I have the mounted to the table threaded holes for the thumbscrews to store in.

It’s a neat set up. Even with a HF saw. Like I said I have a small vertical bandsaw for under $250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

454ragtop

Swarf
Registered
They're around, I have a 300MM (little more than 12") little import that looks like a DoAll, imported, has a slick shift on the fly 4 speed transmission. I lucked out and found it used for short money, they tend to be somewhat expensive. Looks a lot like this Jet, but a little smaller http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/vbs-1408-14-vertical-bandsaw/414483

WalterC

Registered
Registered
I made a cage for mine. Use it for horizontal cutting or flip it up for vertical. Does a good job, but it doesn't have a large table.

Portable bandsaw stand 11-23-15 004.JPG
Portable bandsaw stand 11-23-15 016.JPG

Brian Hutchings

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'small'
I have a Proxxon metal cuttiing bandsaw which was bought to cut out sheet metal brass and steel components for model traction engines but I have used it on 1/2" inch thick by 2" inch mild steel and it coped very well.
I keep 2 blades, 1 for brass and another for steel and copper.
I don't know if Proxxon is a known make in the US of A but it may be known under another name.
Brian

9t8z28

Registered
Registered
I 4th on the SWAG offroad portaband saw table. Its very very compact. I have the Harbor Freight portaband saw and a Harbor Freight foot pedal. They offer 2 styles of pedals. One is on and off with each pedal press. The other is on with each pedal press and when you release the switch goes off. This setup is the way to go. The only issues I have had are that the Harbor Freight blade does not sit perfectly verticle on the table so I had to shim it which was pretty easy. The other issue I had was that when cutting, the blade tends to Twist so you have to push in towards te blade on a slight angle. Not a big deal considering the cost and versatility of the machine. Both issues are not the fault of Swag offroad.

Kernbigo

Active User
Registered
YOU don't need a gear box just a treadmill motor and a metal cutting blade. I silver solder my own blade from do all material

Attachments

If you can find an older saw with cast iron construction , most everyone can be slowed down to cut metal. I've been watching and wanting one for years . Mostly when I see them I'm out of money or to far to get for me. It's not like I can hop in the van and drive , buy it load up and leave. This being disabled really really SUCKS. But drs are burning nerves now finally making slow strides to some freedom.
Find a gear reduction motor or drive system and just add pulleys line up and cut. About two months ago there was two units on eBay that had a gear reduction and variable speed on them , They sold I think for $75 each. I put them on here because of the small LATHES they could have powered . Now there's some listed for $350. Each . Gear reduction drive is the way to go , plenty of torque is big plus.

pontiac428

I have a 14" Enco vertical band saw that I "converted" to metal by flip-flopping all of the pulleys around to get the max reduction. It's good for aluminum now, but one of these days I'm going to break down and buy some more pulleys from surplus center to get just a bit more reduction. It's a legit way to go, no funky tinkering or dangerous rigging to get from point A to point B.

Buffalo21

I bought one of the Swag portaband tables, thought it was junk and eventually ended up giving it away to a guy, who later threw it away. I use portabands saws everyday at work, they are hardly a precision tool, they are a crude cut off saw. My table was used with 4 different saws, one of them was brand new, just way too much blade flex. I can cut better or just as good, by hand, without the table.

markba633csi

I modified a Ryobi 903 to cut metal. The oem saw uses an XL style timing belt, I had a large XL pulley I had left over from a robotics project.
I like the model because it has ball bearing blade guides- bit of a pain to adjust but cuts nice and takes up little space-with a variable speed motor it would be terrific
Mark

[6]
[5] [7]