Why are small vertical metal cutting band saws virtually nonexistent??

I third the SWAG route. I really like mine for a small shop.
View attachment 268995

Definitely a cool setup. Especially if you have a Milwaukee saw like yours so the table is made just for it. I know it's totally goofy to be this OCD but I just can't stand all the extra holes in the top on the one's that fit my elcheapo Harbor Freight saw. I have some 1/4" plate to make a table for mine that will be held in my woodworking vise.

I third the SWAG route. I really like mine for a small shop.
View attachment 268995

Definitely a cool setup. Especially if you have a Milwaukee saw like yours so the table is made just for it. I know it's totally goofy to be this OCD but I just can't stand all the extra holes in the top on the one's that fit my elcheapo Harbor Freight saw. I have some 1/4" plate to make a table for mine that will be held in my woodworking vise.

As I showed I did go with the HF saw, and I have the universal table with my SWAG table. As you can see I did mount a handy box with outlets and a switch for my saw on the table. Also I made up the plate in the second video to fasten the table down to the workbench. Later I knocked out some thumbscrews to use in the front holes. Now I have the mounted to the table threaded holes for the thumbscrews to store in.

It’s a neat set up. Even with a HF saw. Like I said I have a small vertical bandsaw for under $250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'small'
I have a Proxxon metal cuttiing bandsaw which was bought to cut out sheet metal brass and steel components for model traction engines but I have used it on 1/2" inch thick by 2" inch mild steel and it coped very well.
I keep 2 blades, 1 for brass and another for steel and copper.
I don't know if Proxxon is a known make in the US of A but it may be known under another name.
Brian

I 4th on the SWAG offroad portaband saw table. Its very very compact. I have the Harbor Freight portaband saw and a Harbor Freight foot pedal. They offer 2 styles of pedals. One is on and off with each pedal press. The other is on with each pedal press and when you release the switch goes off. This setup is the way to go. The only issues I have had are that the Harbor Freight blade does not sit perfectly verticle on the table so I had to shim it which was pretty easy. The other issue I had was that when cutting, the blade tends to Twist so you have to push in towards te blade on a slight angle. Not a big deal considering the cost and versatility of the machine. Both issues are not the fault of Swag offroad.

YOU don't need a gear box just a treadmill motor and a metal cutting blade. I silver solder my own blade from do all material

101_0579.jpg

If you can find an older saw with cast iron construction , most everyone can be slowed down to cut metal. I've been watching and wanting one for years . Mostly when I see them I'm out of money or to far to get for me. It's not like I can hop in the van and drive , buy it load up and leave. This being disabled really really SUCKS. But drs are burning nerves now finally making slow strides to some freedom.
Find a gear reduction motor or drive system and just add pulleys line up and cut. About two months ago there was two units on eBay that had a gear reduction and variable speed on them , They sold I think for $75 each. I put them on here because of the small LATHES they could have powered . Now there's some listed for $350. Each . Gear reduction drive is the way to go , plenty of torque is big plus.

I have a 14" Enco vertical band saw that I "converted" to metal by flip-flopping all of the pulleys around to get the max reduction. It's good for aluminum now, but one of these days I'm going to break down and buy some more pulleys from surplus center to get just a bit more reduction. It's a legit way to go, no funky tinkering or dangerous rigging to get from point A to point B.

Back